Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Filtering Related Parent based on values in Child table fields

Posted 08-31-2020 22:38
    The subject may sound similar, but I've not come across something like this in the forums yet.  Maybe it's not possible and I just haven't joined the bandwagon yet.

Imagine, if you will, a table of [Orders] with multiple One-To-Many Relationships with a [Contacts Table]
    (for those not imagining..)
    ------------|[Related Contact1]
    ------------|[Related Contact2]
    [Order] -|[Related Contact3]
    ------------|[Related Contact4]
    ------------|[Related Main PoC]

As not-imagined above, the user can choose up to 4 Contacts for this order form.  I'm trying filter the giant list from the Contact table (via the[Related Main PoC]) by passing it through some sort of filter that would match the four previously selected contacts.  

I've tried a few things, each with worse results than the last, including pulling apart the different fields I might need, then reassembling them to be used in a formula text field; used as the target of a Dropdown Selection field... only to find that said selection field recursively added all the formula field values from all the orders as an option; instead of the values solely given in the Formula Field of the given order,

The reason I've added yet another Relationship to my Contacts table is to try and avoid breaking any working systems we have in place now.

I'm hoping that the answer is glaring obvious to someone(s); and I'm just oblivious. However I fear that I'm asking Quickbase to do something it cant.

------------------------------
    Doug

• 2.  RE: Filtering Related Parent based on values in Child table fields

Posted 08-31-2020 23:29
    Is there a common Parent table to both Orders and Contacts by chance? Like maybe a Clients table or something?

Blake Harrison - DataBlender.io
    Quick Base Solution Provider

• 3.  RE: Filtering Related Parent based on values in Child table fields

Posted 09-02-2020 17:01
    There is not. They are directly related to each other.

Douglas | dhines@tritonnet.com
    |
    Service Delivery Coordinator | Tier II Support | Systems

• 4.  RE: Filtering Related Parent based on values in Child table fields

Posted 09-08-2020 12:22
    Ok, so you mention that you're trying to connect them via the Main POC. How is this person associated with each Contact? And how - in actual practice, not necessarily in Quick Base - would someone identify the Main POC and then identify the viable Contacts from the larger list?

Blake Harrison - DataBlender.io
    Quick Base Solution Provider