Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  I need a button to launch an external URL in a new window

Posted 11-16-2021 15:16
    I know how to create a new field that appears as a button on the page, and opens a pop up window.

What I seek help in defining is the actual formula to open an external web page - Origin-Based and Destination-Based Sales Tax Rate - TaxJar
    The purpose is purely to provided users with an external reference when adding a new Customer, so they can populate the tax rate that is applicable for the state in which the customer resides and the type of purchase (services, software, hardware, other).

It does not need to integrate data or return anything at this point. I just want to open a new window with the website in it.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Wade Myers

• 2.  RE: I need a button to launch an external URL in a new window

Posted 11-16-2021 15:46
    Assuming this is a URL or formula URL field then you can choose to open it in the same page, a new window, or in a pop-up in the field options themselves. It is under "Open Target" which is in the Display section. 

If this opens in a new tab or a new window will depend on the end users browser. On my browser it opens in a new tab because I have it set that way. However if I do this in another browser I get a new window. A pop-up window is probably your best bet here but I know it is annoyingly small when it opens.

There is a second way to do this via a formula Rich Text field and creating the link via html and giving it a target of "_blank" but I tested this just now and it also opens in a new tab for me instead of a new window. Again likely due to my specific browser settings. Another downside to this is it is a text link but you may be able to style it into a button, I didn't try.

• 3.  RE: I need a button to launch an external URL in a new window

Posted 11-16-2021 15:52
    Austin,
    Thanks, yes I understand the behavior. I'm asking what the formula would be, or how to construct it.

Wade Myers

• 4.  RE: I need a button to launch an external URL in a new window

Posted 11-16-2021 20:08
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 11-17-2021 10:56
    np,
    The formula would be 

"https://www.taxjar.com/sales-tax/101/origin-based-and-destination-based-sales-tax"

The Link Text  for the URL formula field would probably be something like Look Up Tax Rates.  Set the button to open in a new window.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: I need a button to launch an external URL in a new window

Posted 11-17-2021 10:51
    One thing to keep in mind is I believe that you cannot open outside URLs unless you write customer care and have them flip a switch on their end. I think the realms are defaulted not to allow it.

Michael Tamoush

• 6.  RE: I need a button to launch an external URL in a new window

Posted 11-17-2021 10:55
    Thanks, and yes we had already done that since part of my app utilizes EOTI.

Wade Myers