Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Pop up

• 1.  Pop up

Posted 03-31-2021 16:32
    how to create a pop up in quickbase without javascript?

------------------------------
    Mariela Vasquez

• 2.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-02-2021 11:26
    There are a few options in form rules for displaying a message either when the record is opened, if the user is in a certain role, or based on data from fields in the form. It isn't perfect and JavaScript gives you more options, but it is a native solution. I'm sure you have seen these already though.

Maybe if you described what your intentions are with the popup someone would be able to direct you to a better solution.  You could technically send the user to a code page and have that show your popup or information to the user in another way. Instead of a popup you could have the code page load with your desired information and have the user click okay and then be redirected back to where you want. This might work okay for this purpose or not, it just depends on what you are trying to do.

• 3.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-06-2021 09:36
    what I need the pop-up window to do is that when it takes the user to an external page it appears as a pop-up window not as a tab, where it enters the data that is requested, and when saving it returns to the initial page

Mariela Vasquez

• 4.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-06-2021 10:54
    I've seen this request numerous times in the community - in fact I had it myself. To my knowledge, there is no way to accomplish this outside of actually coding.

I went to the user voice, and surprisingly did not find many posts about this, however the one I did find about having a pop up window for a new record, was marked Declined. Perhaps not something QB has any intention of taking on natively...

Mike Tamoush

• 5.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-06-2021 11:08
    I understand that natively it is not possible, but with HTML and CSS it is possible?

Mariela Vasquez

• 6.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-06-2021 11:47
    There might be, but all that is beyond my capabilities! This thread may be helpful to you, I looked at it long ago but couldn't find what I needed, however maybe something in there will help you.

https://community.quickbase.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=103&MID=33670&CommunityKey=d860b0f8-6a48-487b-b346-44c47a19a804&tab=digestviewer

Mike Tamoush

• 7.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-19-2021 14:00
    It appears that this will be added natively in the next release?!?!!?

https://help.quickbase.com/release-notes/april-2021-release-notes.html

Mike Tamoush

• 8.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-19-2021 14:05
    Yes. It came on on this past Sunday.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-19-2021 14:26
    Edited by Mike Tamoush 04-19-2021 14:28
    Mark do you know the syntax for rich text? I see it says use 'OpenAsPopUP' but does that mean something like 'target=_Openaspopup'?

And any clue if we can control the size of the popup?

Mike Tamoush

• 10.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-19-2021 16:38
    No I do not know the syntax and I'm hoping that when you do find out either you or somebody else post back to your thread to tell us how to use that syntax. Given that they didn't tell us non-coders how to use that maybe you can put in a support ticket and ask the question.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-19-2021 17:57

OpenAsPopup is the class that you'll want to use:

Justin Torrence
    Quickbase Expert, Jaybird Technologies
    jtorrence@jaybirdtechnologies.com
    https://www.jaybirdtechnologies.com/

• 12.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-19-2021 19:00
    Thanks Justin, that worked!

Two questions.

1. Do you know if there is a way to control the size and placement of the popup?
    2. I modified by code to look like yours (I'm not great at the code, I mostly look at other code and modify). All my sample codes I follow, use single quotes, and I notice you use backslash. Typically, my code will look something like below. I could not figure out how to edit mine to include the Openpopup class, so I just changed everything from href and on to match yours. Is there a way I could have adjusted mine?

I know it has to do with me not understanding the usage and purpose of the backslashes and single quotes.

Sample button:
    "<a style=\"text-decoration:none; background: #688EB3; border-radius: 5px; color: #ffffff; display: inline-block; padding: 4px 0px 0px 0px; width:145px; height:22px; text-align: center; text-shadow: none; border: 0px solid #030404; font-size: 12px \"href='"
    & $ADD  //I tried to add in & "\" class=\"OpenAsPopup\" here, but that didn't work
    & "'>Sample button text</a>"

Mike Tamoush

• 13.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-20-2021 00:43

@Mike Tamoush

1. I did some sleuthing through the file sources of the page and it looks like they set the width and height of the popup explicitly, so I think they would need to add support​ for us to pass those as a parameter to the onclick event. Definitely something to request in Quickbase Uservoice.
    2. I use the backslash as an escape character so that the formula builder doesn't interpret the double quote as an end to the string that I am giving. Your method should work if you don't use the single quote in html anywhere else. If you wanted to adapt my formula to yours, you should be able to just replace all of my \" with ' .

I've adjusted the "Sample Button" you provided:

var text ADD = "add";

"<a style='text-decoration:none; background: #688EB3; border-radius: 5px; color: #ffffff; display: inline-block; padding: 4px 0px 0px 0px; width:145px; height:22px; text-align: center; text-shadow: none; border: 0px solid #030404; font-size: 12px' href='" & $ADD & "' class='OpenAsPopup'>Sample button text</a>"

Justin Torrence
    Quickbase Expert, Jaybird Technologies
    jtorrence@jaybirdtechnologies.com
    https://www.jaybirdtechnologies.com/

• 14.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-20-2021 10:29
    Edited by Juiced Technologies 04-20-2021 10:42
      |   view attached
    Hi Mike,
      we have a solution to help control the height and width and will be releasing this soon as its needed for our add-ons.  I created a quick sample using your rich text formula code and incorporated that into our solution and it works fine.  So we can use a formula rich text formula field like in your example or a standard formula url field which is what our add-ons are installed with.

See the quick snipped attached.  This is using your formula rich text code and our solution.
    (click the "view attached" above...the animated gif below doesn't really work well)

Keith

Juiced Technologies
    Juiced Technologies, Inc.
    631-617-5060

• 15.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-20-2021 11:00
    Justin - Thanks for the explanation! Indeed, replacing your "/ worked for me (as did copying your original formula), so two different syntax that work. Appreciate it.

Keith - that's great! So when you say 'releasing this soon', are you saying you will explain on the community how to adjust the height and width, or is that proprietary?

Mike Tamoush

• 16.  RE: Pop up

Posted 04-20-2021 11:35
    this is not proprietary.  We will be sending out an email to all of our clients with instructions on how to modify their formula fields so that they will no longer require javascript.
    We haven't done that yet as we were waiting on the solution that quickbase was releasing this past weekend.  We wanted to see what they were going to have as a solution for popup windows so we could compare that to our solution.

Juiced Technologies
    Juiced Technologies, Inc.
    631-617-5060