Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Trying to select employees from a roster

Posted 01-14-2020 16:01
    I am trying to set up a table that allows me to assign employees to each job.

I have a Job Log table that has about 20 fields that include things like customer name, category of work, program manager, etc.

In each record, I have a button that creates a report record in another table and that is functioning fine.

I would like to add employees to each job from an Employee Roster table but can't figure out how to make that work.

I tried creating the Roster table and then create a table-to-table relationship but that isn't getting me what I want.

Is there a trick to making something like this work?

------------------------------
    Michael michael.rorstad@ameebay.com

• 2.  RE: Trying to select employees from a roster

Posted 01-14-2020 16:19
    This is a classic many to many relationship.  One Employee has many Roster Assignment, but also One Job has many Roster Assignments.

So how we do this in Quick Base is to create that "middle table" called say Roster Assignments.  Try that and post back if you get stuck anywhere.

Note that when you build the relationships, you will have a better experience if you set the field properties for Related Job to be the lookup field probably called Job Name, and similarly with the employees, if the Key field of the employee table is [Record ID#] set the field property for Related Employee to be the lookup field probably called Employee Name.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Trying to select employees from a roster

Posted 01-15-2020 12:46
    Thanks Mark, that helped and it works like a champ!

Mike michael.rorstad@ameebay.com

• 4.  RE: Trying to select employees from a roster

Posted 01-24-2020 11:26
    Good morning,
    I'm hoping to get some more help on the same project.

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish:
    I have a job log that has an entry that has specifics like Job ID #, title, the period of performance, etc.

From that job log record, I have a URL button that allows employees to be added from our company roster and authorize the number of regular hours and overtime hours for that particular job.

Once the time authorization is published and the job is underway, we have a requirement for the project manager to report what happened during the day and who worked that day and how many hours.

I've been able to create the relationships between the job log, time authorization & employees and the daily report and the employees, which displays the Hours Authorized information and the Hours Worked information, but I'm having problems getting the running balance to be calculated on the daily report or back in the job log.

Mike michael.rorstad@ameebay.com