Discussions

• 1.  Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 20 days ago
    Edited by Daniel Johnson 20 days ago
    Hi All,

I've got a table that's used as a scheduler so I know who is available and when. The assignments table is related to that table, but the parent table is the schedule table because one person's schedule could have multiple assignments in one day. However, I was hoping to cut down on having to have that report open when assigning work, so I was wondering if there is a way to display the schedule report on the assignments form to have it show everyone's schedule for today. In other words, I want to open the assignment form and see every possible person and their schedule, regardless of whether it's related to that record or not. I guess this would be like a hybrid of a dashboard/homepage and a form. Is this possible? In that same vein, I'd also like to see the current queue of assignments for everyone so I can gauge when someone will be ready for their next assignment.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Daniel Johnson

• 2.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 20 days ago
    no problem.
    New developers often think that you need to have a relationship to have a report link field because one gets created when you build the relationship. But just like you can Order fries at McDonalds without ordering the full meal combo, you can just make you own Report Link field to embed a report for any other table.

So just make a report link field called Report Link of all Assignments for today.

Configure the left field to be the [date] field.  For the right field select the app (watch out for that popup blocker) and then locate in a very long list of fields the date field in the assignments table.

Then put the report link field on the form and set up an unfiltered report for the form to use.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 20 days ago
    Hey Mark,

Sorry, I don't follow. I'm looking to put the schedule report on the assignments table, so for the report link field wouldn't the left field be the date of the assignment and the right field be the date of the schedule?

Although, that's how I have it now, with an unfiltered report, and it's blank.

Daniel Johnson

• 4.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 20 days ago
    Edited by Daniel Johnson 20 days ago
    For some added context, I have a button on a report that when clicked changes the date of the assignment to today and then opens the record in edit mode. Still no values in the embedded report, even after refreshing the page because I thought maybe doing it with the API_EditRecord right before opening the report was why I wasn't seeing anything.

Daniel Johnson

• 5.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 20 days ago
    I'm not really understanding your tables and relationships no and I have to jump into a call now, but the gist of it that if any two fields match on any two tables and you are using and unfiltered report on the form, then the matching records will display.  The field on the left is a field from the record you are on. The field on the right is the target table for the embedded report.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 20 days ago
    Hey Mark,

On the schedule table contractors add their schedule each day they can work and a plain date field captures the date. One date + one contractor = a schedule record. The assignments table is related to the schedule table with the schedule being the parent. When an assignment is made, a pipeline looks at the date of assignment field (just another date field, not date/time) and the user it's assigned to and matches those two fields to that person's schedule for the day and passes that record ID back to the assignment in the Related Schedule field. That's done because this work is transcription work, and contractors might be able to work on 80-minutes of audio in one day and I need to know how much I already assigned them for each day. 

So, what I'd like to show in the assignment form is all the records in the schedule table whose date is the same as the date of the assignment. I thought that's how I had it setup. Let me know if you think I'm missing something.

Daniel Johnson

• 7.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 20 days ago
    Well, as is the case 95% of the time, the computers figured out we were talking about them and got their acts together! I don't think I changed anything, but it's working now! 

As always, thanks for replying here Mark!

Daniel Johnson

• 8.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 20 days ago
    Actually I have seen flaky behaviour on report link fields. It seems like sometimes they take a minute or two to settle in.  Can't explain it.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 19 days ago
    Hey Mark,

I've got the schedule working with the date field, but now I'm trying to get another report to show based on a status field. The user inputted status field is just a multiple choice text, but there are two different statuses whose records I need to show. I can get one to show with a dummy formula text field with just the text in quotes of that one status. Is there a way to get both to show? What would that syntax look like? I tried "Status 1 ; Status 2" but that didn't work, it didn't show anything. I've also got the "Only include values if they match exactly in both fields" box unchecked.

What do you think?

Daniel Johnson

• 10.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 19 days ago
    When you use the non exact match it means that the value in the field on the left side must be contained within the string on the right side.

If that is backwards from what you need, then you will need to have two embedded report link field.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Embed Unrelated Report

Posted 19 days ago
    Edited by Daniel Johnson 19 days ago
    Thank you for that explanation Mark. It would be nice to be able to have some more flexibility there, but such is QB.

Daniel Johnson