Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Edit Record Formula Button

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Edit Record Formula Button

Posted 16 days ago

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is staying safe out there.

I'm trying to create a formula button to edit an existing record on a different table. When I created the formula initially, it brings me to the form I'm trying to edit, but it looks like a new record and doesn't have any detail of the completed form.

The way I'm trying to create this button is using the parent's record ID# and the related Record ID# for the child table to create a "match". Upon thinking about this, I'm not sure if there is a way to link the parent and child records.

Does anyone have any ideas about this or has done something similar? Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Uchenna Ogbejesi

• 2.  RE: Edit Record Formula Button

Posted 16 days ago
    Are you looking to call up a record in edit mode?

Do you know the table alias name off the Advanced Properties of that table?  Do you know the Record ID of the record you want to edit??

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Edit Record Formula Button

Posted 16 days ago
    Correct, I'm looking to call up a record in edit mode. I have all the information, I'm just having trouble calling up a record from a different table.

Uchenna Ogbejesi

• 4.  RE: Edit Record Formula Button

Posted 16 days ago
    Try this as a formula URL button

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_ of the table from Advanced Properties] & "?a=er&rid=" & [the field with the Record ID# you want to edit]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Edit Record Formula Button

Posted 15 days ago
    Thank you for this. I tried your formula and I was brought to a Not Found page. I think this is happening because the Record ID# for the child record isn't known on the parent record. Is there a way to get the Record ID# of the child record on the parent record? A summary field comes to mind, but it's not an ideal solution given it's flawed.

Uchenna Ogbejesi

• 6.  RE: Edit Record Formula Button

Posted 15 days ago
    Please provide a description of your tables and their relationship and on which table you want the button.  Also an example would be useful and knowing what the tables actually represent.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Edit Record Formula Button

Posted 15 days ago
    The two tables that I'm using for this button are: Gating and Gating Questionnaires. Gating is used to mitigate risks for projects by having projects stop at different gates to make sure the project is meeting different requirements to move through the gates. The questionnaire is used to fill out whether they have met these requirements essentially.

Gating is the parent table and Gating Questionnaires is the child table. One Gate can theoretically create multiple questionnaires, however, I'm restricting the creation of multiple records for each gate.

I have two buttons on a report: Complete Questionnaire (works) and Edit Questionnaire (not working). When someone completes a questionnaire, that button disappears and the edit questionnaire button appears. Basically, once a questionnaire has been completed, I'm trying to edit that questionnaire that was completed, but I can't get it to work because the Record ID# of the questionnaire is not on the Gating table to use in the formula button.

Uchenna Ogbejesi

• 8.  RE: Edit Record Formula Button
    Best Answer

Posted 15 days ago
    You are saying that there will only be 1 Gating Questionnaire per gate. 

But even if there were more than 1, you would want to edit the most recent one.

So just make a summary field of the Maximum of the Record ID# of the Gating Questionnaires table.  Now the Parent Gating record knows which child record to edit.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Edit Record Formula Button

Posted 15 days ago
    Thanks, Mark! This works.

Uchenna Ogbejesi