Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  How to capture users that have updated a record in one field

Posted 07-01-2020 14:11
    I am trying to capture all the users that have updated a record in one field of list user type. Every time a record is updated and saved the field should be appended.  It should be straightforward but it is not. What is complicating this is I have multiple automations that are fired when a record is saved.  Since I developed these automations , they are updating the last modified by field with my name instead of the user that caused the triggering action. As an end result I am not able to leverage the last modified by field to capture the user name who caused the triggering action. The same holds true if I try using the user() function in a formula.  Is there a solution please?

------------------------------
    John Sampath

• 2.  RE: How to capture users that have updated a record in one field

Posted 07-01-2020 15:49
    If the records are being edited on forms and not Grid Edit, you can make a new User field called [Real Last Modified by] as well as a formula User field called [Current User]. 

Then use a Form Rule set to fire all the time (uncheck the checkbox at the bottom)

When the record is saved change [Real Last Modified By] to the value in the field  [Current User].  That will give you a field to use in your Automations to know the Real Last Modified by

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: How to capture users that have updated a record in one field

Posted 07-01-2020 18:29
    Thank you once again Mark!! Worked like a charm. One question, as a general rule can I always count on form rules that are triggered by Saving a record to fire before any automation?  (That's what made this work as opposed to my previous attempts.)

John Sampath

• 4.  RE: How to capture users that have updated a record in one field

Posted 07-01-2020 18:33
    Yes, the form rules kick in sort of in between when you click to save and when the save completes.  The Automation will not start until the record has been (past tense) saved.  It can't know to start before that as the form rules are happening in the browser and the Automation is just watching for changes to the actual data.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com