Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Task Template Type to filter what tasks are imported

Posted 10-22-2019 21:25
    Hi everyone.

I have a table for Tasks and a table for Task Templates.  On the Task Templates table I created a field for Task Template Type.  I am using this to control which tasks get imported.

On the Tasks table I have a checkbox for "Import Task Template."  When a user checks it (under my old logic) it would trigger an automation for a table import to copy all tasks from task template into the project.

Now, I want to somehow allow the user to select from the field in Task Templates for Task Template Type and use that to control the tasks that are copied over.

I was thinking I need a lookup field somehow next to the checkbox to display the Task Template Type and use that as a record picker.  But I dont think this is right as I dont even know where to begin here....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ivan Weiss

• 2.  RE: Task Template Type to filter what tasks are imported

Posted 10-23-2019 09:26
    So one approach is to make a new table with a single record in it as a helper table to have a place to record the focus template Record ID#.  That will be Record ID# = 1 and then you make a relationship wherever you need to know the focus template # (probably the templates master table) with a reference field that calculates to 1.​

So the Automation will run and record that value on this special record.  Then you adjust the Automation to limit the record being copied to those which match the focus template.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Task Template Type to filter what tasks are imported

Posted 10-24-2019 13:32
    And if I do this I make the relationship to the project as well so that on the project next to the button to create the tasks there is a dropdown to pick which template to choose from?

Ivan Weiss

• 4.  RE: Task Template Type to filter what tasks are imported

Posted 10-24-2019 13:36
    Yes, exactly.

So the trigger is pushing a button which triggers the Automation.  The first step in the Automation will be to copy the value of the focus template into that special record.

Then when the subsequent step of the Automation runs the records to be copied will need to match the Focus template.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com