Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Custom Rule for Role/Table

Posted 05-23-2021 14:36
    I am not sure if this is possible but I have been asked to restrict editing depending on whether the user is the Auditor or Engineer on a project.  Updates will be made on a child table in grid edit so I cannot use form rules.

The issue is that both users can have the same role. Both the Auditor and the Engineer are in the Engineering role (they audit each other's work and are in the same group).

Is it possible to set up a custom rule for a single role where Certain fields are only editable by the Record Owner, Certain fields are only editable by the Engineer assigned and others are editable by both?  

Example:

Auditor Response (Should only be editable by the record owner)
    Engineer Response (Should only be editable by the Engineer assigned)
    Correspondence (Both Auditor and Engineer can edit)

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Christine White

• 2.  RE: Custom Rule for Role/Table

Posted 05-24-2021 17:05
    You would need something like some user dropdown fields for the Assigned Engineer to be selected in. Then create a formula User field(lets call it [Current User]) and have it just be User(). Create a relationship back to your employee table using this field as the reference. Then you would compare [Current User] to the person in the assigned fields. If they match then have the form rule lets them edit the fields you want. This would only work if you had an Employee table or similar list of users in the app.

Hopefully I got that right I am just going by memory here. If not it should get you close to the goal.

• 3.  RE: Custom Rule for Role/Table

Posted 06-01-2021 14:50
    Thank you for the suggestion.  My main issue is that users will be in grid edit so I cannot use form rules to restrict editing.  My backup idea is to have various versions of the report with "Snap Shot" fields displayed if not to be edited.

Christine White