Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Field Name changes and pipelines

Posted 11-17-2021 14:54
    I have a few field names that I need to change and know the changes will update in most parts of Quickbase.  But, I also know that things like field names in relationships will not update.  Will changing a field name have any adverse impact on a pipeline?

------------------------------
    Paul Peterson

• 2.  RE: Field Name changes and pipelines

Posted 11-17-2021 15:55
    I forgot that I had pipelines in one of my test apps and was able to find the answer.  No, the field name does NOT update in the pipeline.

Paul Peterson

• 3.  RE: Field Name changes and pipelines

Posted 11-18-2021 10:17
    I figured the name would not update but does it still work? Under the hood so to speak it seems like it goes by the FID in a lot of cases but just displays the name. I was thinking this may only be an issue if you actually use the name in part of the pipeline...

One of my biggest struggles with pipelines is the need to constantly refresh the schema when a little change happens.

• 4.  RE: Field Name changes and pipelines

Posted 11-18-2021 10:21
    Yes, The pipeline may break with the name change. I'm not certain if it happens 100% of the time, but I have run into this issue in the past.

Melissa Doran
    Jr Solutions Consultant
    Quandary Consulting Group

linkedin.com/in/melissardoran
    mdoran@quandarycg.com

• 5.  RE: Field Name changes and pipelines

Posted 11-18-2021 10:54
    Just to chime in here. There is a known issue that changing a field name can break a pipeline. I believe that the pipeline will not break while it's in production. But then if you edit the pipeline it may break the pipeline while you're editing it because it may be referring to a non existent field. 

It seems to be a bit mysterious under what conditions a pipeline will break. I do know that QuickBase developers are aware of it and are working towards a solution but I don't have any timeline.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Field Name changes and pipelines

Posted 11-18-2021 11:12
    The biggest one that sticks out in my memory was an in-production pipeline. 
    I wonder if it has to do with hard coding the FIDs when building or using the dropdown.

Melissa Doran
    Jr Solutions Consultant
    Quandary Consulting Group

linkedin.com/in/melissardoran
    mdoran@quandarycg.com

• 7.  RE: Field Name changes and pipelines

Posted 11-18-2021 11:46
    In my testing it works until you edit the Pipeline. When editing the pipeline, it only breaks if that field is being used somewhere in the jinga code (typically, because in a later pipeline step you dragged the field over in some condition, or to map fields).

Anything in jinga code is not updated, therefor, breaks. It's strange to me that it doesn't break right away (as soon as you change the field name), but only if you edit the pipeline that it exists in.

Michael Tamoush