Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Grid Edit - Browse Choices Workaround?

• 1.  Grid Edit - Browse Choices Workaround?

Posted 23 days ago
    Hi everyone!  I'm wondering if anyone knows at what # of records does the grid edit field decide to display 'browse choices' vs being able to search directly within the cell?  I'm guessing 1000 but I'm hoping there's a way to bypass this issue...

For example, we process invoices for multiple customers with each customer having it's own app.  Based on the rule that a store has many invoices, I can enter all invoices directly into a grid edit report for the customer with ~900 locations and the store number will autopopulate in the field just as it would when I add a new invoice through the form itself.  I wanted to recreate this with a customer with ~1600 locations as I was super excited to streamline the process even more (currently entering invoices into excel then uploading into the invoices table) but when I created the same report in the app it will not autopopulate the store number.  Instead gives me one option to 'Browse choices' then search for the store number in a new window.

Is this because there are too many related stores to populate in the dropdown menu or could it be that I need to adjust some options in the field itself?

------------------------------
    Marissa Zepeda

• 2.  RE: Grid Edit - Browse Choices Workaround?

Posted 23 days ago
    Yes, the cut off is 1,000 records.  Above that they force the dreaded record picker.  They have to have some limit as what if you had 1 million records, that is too much to populate to a drop down list.

A possible work around is to make this a conditional drop down where you first enter the first letter of the store name, and then the dropdown list would be much smaller.  Or select a range like A-L or M-Z.  This would take some easy setup, but might be worth it.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Grid Edit - Browse Choices Workaround?

Posted 22 days ago
    Hi Mark - thanks for your feedback!! Are you able to provide any details on how to achieve this  - either the first letter trick or splitting up into a range?  I'm not sure how to get there using the conditional values option in the field settings.

Marissa Zepeda

• 4.  RE: Grid Edit - Browse Choices Workaround?

Posted 22 days ago
    OK, sure, I'm pretty sure that this will work in grid edit.  (i know it will work on a form).

On your table of stores make a field called [First Letter].  then formula will be
    Left([store name],1)

Make a field called [First Letter] on the child invoice record table.  This field will just be a text field.

on the relationship between invoices and stores for the field [Related Store] make that Conditional where [First Letter] matches the [First Letter] in Stores.

test that works on a form.  ie when you enter "C", you only get stores like "City of .."

If you add that [First Letter] column to the Invoices Grid Edit report, then it should work.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com