Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Updates to the new table report

Posted 01-02-2020 16:46
    Edited by Evan Martinez 04-20-2020 11:25
    Fine print: this post discusses Quick Base features and functions that are currently in development. Quick Base has no obligation to deliver these features and they may be unstable.
    If you are not yet involved in our early access for the new table report experience, please make sure you register based on the instructions in our December Release Notes. We are slowly inviting people in. If you are exceptionally passionate about working with us on this topic and being part of the cutting edge in Quick Base, please reach out to your account team at Quick Base so that they get in touch with the right people on our product team to advocate for you.

Thanks to those of you that have been participating in this limited early access. We wanted to provide a brief update as to the progress.

Since on-boarding the first customers, we have already:

1. Made significant improvements in performance.
    2. Added a new date picker for column filtering.
    3. Created the back-end logic to support new, more interactive, total and averaging (replacing the show summary table at the bottom of table reports).
    4. Modernized our error handling around permissions to adhere to our new UI guidelines. Note: users will begin seeing these in January regardless of their status on the new table report.
    5. Squashed some bugs.
    6. Improved column width and filter interactivity.

Within the next few weeks, we plan on focusing on a few key things:

1. Even more performance improvements, both to the back-end and the front-end. What is special about this is, despite adding additional computations to the reports, we are seeing big reduction in response times (things loading faster!).
    2. Allowing for the filtering of non-searchable filters in a performant way. Today, with Dynamic Filters, admins must have set fields to be searchable (which we generally want to keep streamlined for performance) and the report must have the field set as a Dynamic Filter. In the new model, we still only pre-calculate the first 5 searchable fields from left-to-right, but a user can activate a column as a filter on the fly. Our hypothesis (that we hope to validate with many of you), is that this is a nice blend between up-front management of the app, performant report loads but also flexibility for the end user.

3. Improving the experience when you collapse a group that spans multiple pages.
    4. Evaluating a hierarchical way to view totals and averages. Fine print: the below is one of many designs we have been testing for a way to show totals and averages without making the cells too large and also keeping things clean. This may change, many times.
    5. Squash some more bugs.

There are many more items that are a smaller that we will be progressively working on not listed above, but those are the big rocks. We don't plan on getting down to fit and finish for a couple of months. The primary focus is on getting the core concepts right for the widest variety of our users. Again, remember that many of these features and bug fixes will roll out off-cycle and will not be in our release notes since this is feature is not production-ready yet.

We definitely are interested in getting more builders and users into this program that fit well and are willing to collaborate with their users, ask them to switch back and forth between the old and the new and provide us significant feedback. If you aren't ready to dive in, but have some opinions on the above, feel free to post here or reach out to me privately.

------------------------------
    Harrison Hersch

• 2.  RE: Updates to the new table report

Posted 01-06-2020 11:49
    One of my biggest takeaways from Empower last year on this subject were the plans/intent to phase out Grid Edit table reports since the functionality will be integrated into this new format table report.  My question is:  Is the intent to phase out Grid Edit table reports still the plan?

My primary system utilizes a grid-edit report embedded into a form to enable rapid-fire child record data entry that would be difficult to forego for a more traditional method.  How does the new table report's built-in grid edit handle creating new records?

Brad Lemke

• 3.  RE: Updates to the new table report

Posted 01-06-2020 11:56
    Hi Brad - you are spot on about the vision of the project. Right now this is the read only version. I.e, replacing a table report. The north star would you being able to edit right from here.

Harrison Hersch

• 4.  RE: Updates to the new table report

Posted 01-07-2020 02:21

Hi Harrison,

I was waiting for this for a long time. Finally, it's here. My email is already there in the early access program. I hope, I don't have to register for this again.

Please count me in.

Thanks,
    Gaurav Sharma

Gaurav Sharma

• 5.  RE: Updates to the new table report

Posted 01-07-2020 08:28
    Hi. I dont show you registered for interest in the program. Where did you register? The directions on how to register are in our release notes from Dec and Jan.

Harrison Hersch

• 6.  RE: Updates to the new table report

Posted 01-10-2020 05:09
      |   view attached
    Hi Harrison,

I have used this link which is mentioned in the release notes as well. After submitting the form, I am getting the below error which means my email address already exists. I am using gauravsoft93@gmail.com

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks,

Gaurav Sharma
    Senior Business Applications Developer
    Elevate Services India Pvt. Ltd
    Gurgaon

• 7.  RE: Updates to the new table report

Posted 01-11-2020 00:11
    I have the same problem as Gaurav. Signed up, but no invitations, and sign in to QB Early Access even though it says my email already exists.

Sam W

• 8.  RE: Updates to the new table report

Posted 01-11-2020 19:21
    Hi Sam. Feel free to private message me your email address and I'll check. Note though we are still inviting folks in. What you submitted was expressing interest and then based on multiple factors, we invite customers in.

Harrison Hersch