Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Text Field White Space

Posted 08-22-2021 01:03
    Hi,

We have a EOTI app with a Text Field [First Name], not the only one, which EOTI users are entering data and a white space (usually by using space or tab).

We have tried to fix this with a formula text field Trim([First Name]) and a dynamic form rule of when First Name is not blank and is not equal to Trim Frist Name change First Name to the value in Trim First Name (fire change action unchecked).

However it is not working.

Is there another solution to this problem?

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Tim Egerton

• 2.  RE: Text Field White Space

Posted 08-22-2021 07:21
    Is the Trim Formula field on the firm, even if in a hidden section?  I find fi4m rules don't always work correctly if formula fields they use are not on the form.

Allso is the form rule checkbox unchecked so that it will fire "all the time"?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Text Field White Space

Posted 08-22-2021 21:45
    Hi Mark,

The Trim Formula is on the form (Admin Tab).

Checkbox is unchecked to fire all the time.

Maybe a timing thing. The Trim Formula is not activated until the record is saved and that is being missed by the dynamic form rule?

Tim Egerton

• 4.  RE: Text Field White Space

Posted 08-23-2021 07:25
    Good morning,
    This sounds like it might be a circular reference.

You can just use First Name Formula field where you would have used the First Name field, and that seems like it will solve your problem.
    Thank you,
    John

John Crosland

• 5.  RE: Text Field White Space

Posted 08-23-2021 17:48
    Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Here's the thing, it is an EOTI app where users create a profile, including First Name, Last Name and Passport No., and then can log back in to edit their profile using exact match search on First Name and Last Name and Passport No.

This is were the white space becomes an issue if it is in anyone of those fields it doesn't get an exact match if they leave out the white space for subsequent logins.

So the idea was to trim the fields removing any white space and then replace them.

Tim Egerton

• 6.  RE: Text Field White Space

Posted 08-23-2021 18:09
    Good evening,
    In that case, I would recommend creating a Text key value based on a formula of those three values, and you can populate it with a Dynamic Form Rule that says that if the Key doesn't equal the Formula, then change the Key to the formula. Then you can use HTML/JS on a Home Page, in order to send them to the appropriate record. If you use this method then you will need to include the Hex Code for the special character for instance space (' ') is %20 instead of space. Otherwise, you would need to tell people the format of the key.

The issue that I have with your current setup being EOTI is data security. Anyone, with a basic understanding would be able to record hop, and could either obtain additional information about other people, interfere with your data integrity, or both.  I would recommend investigating usage based pricing plan that can accommodate any number of users that you require. This would allow you to sign people up, and give them a user account that will be able to secure their personal information.

Thank you,
    John

John Crosland

• 7.  RE: Text Field White Space

Posted 08-24-2021 10:05
    Tim,
    I agree with what John said above here.

In that case, I would recommend creating a Text key value based on a formula of those three values, and you can populate it with a Dynamic Form Rule that says that if the Key doesn't equal the Formula, then change the Key to the formula.

I use that technique all the time.  But I'm not see  a reason for anything more complicated than that.  ie no special coding beyond what is in bold.  

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Text Field White Space

Posted 08-25-2021 22:45
    Hi John & Mark,

The Text Key worked, thanks.

John, I agree setting up everyone as a User would be the most secure option however we would need 6,000+ users!

Tim Egerton