Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Best way to assess potential collateral damage from removing fields.

Posted 01-14-2020 14:06
    Looking to make some changes to the current database, namely removing a handful of fields that are currently being used. What is the best way to see how other parts of the database will be affected but this change? I know about checking the ware used tab on each field which shows reports the fields are used in but it doesn't tell which reports run the most like it does on the app reports management section. Just wondering if there was an easy way?

------------------------------
    Chris Swirtz
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Best way to assess potential collateral damage from removing fields.

Posted 01-15-2020 09:39
    Edited by Austin K 01-15-2020 09:41
    Your best bet if you want a good visualization is probably to build the relationships out in something like draw.io (free option) so you can see how they are used. In the field properties of a lookup field they also have a dependency diagram, which will show you how the field is used a little deeper than the Usage tab does.

You can also create a full copy of the app and all the data within it and then do your changes in the app copy to figure out what needs to be done. Write down your process once you have figured out what works and then build it in your main app and use the copy as a reference.

When I am looking into migrating from one set of fields to another I go through each field and look at the usage and plot out exactly what changes need to be made for the new field(s) to work. You never find everything but doing this you can plan for most of it and handle the rest as it comes.