Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Upload CSV and link to project record ID

• 1.  Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 11-08-2021 15:42
    I have a Project Table (ex project 1, 2, 3) and I also have a products table.

I want to bulk import products into my products table. Each product has an associated project (1, 2, 3). How can I upload the CSV into my products table and link the project at the same time? 

My relationship is working and I can select the appropriate project. However I'm hoping that I can avoid having to individually select each project after uploading and automate that task. 

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

------------------------------
    Annie Ryden

• 2.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 11-08-2021 19:57
    Are you saying that the uploaded records know the name of the Project but that the Key field of the Projects is Record ID# and not the name so they don't have a way to automatically match up?

You could set up a Pipeline to trigger when a product is created and the Related Project is blank. The Pipeline would do a search against the Projects table for the first record (ie limit = 1) where the Project Name matches the Project name on the record created and updates the record that was created to Update the apply the [Related Project]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 11-09-2021 08:08
    Thank you for your reply!

No, I don't think so. I know the record ID#, but when I upload as a CSV it doesn't link anything to the record ID. I'd have to go down the list and connect each line to the "parent" project. Does that make sense? 

Annie Ryden

• 4.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 11-09-2021 08:13
    Are you saying that in fact your upload does know the [Record ID#] of the Project? 
    If so, just map that field into the field probably called [Related Project]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 11-09-2021 08:35
    I know the field but I'm having trouble getting quickbase to know the field. Right now it's only allowing one merge field: Record ID#. The record ID I want associated for all is just Record ID # 1 but if I put "1" in the record ID column it still doesn't link anything. ​

Annie Ryden

• 6.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 11-09-2021 08:51
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 01-25-2022 11:06
    That was like a second nuance to your question. Are you saying you were trying to upload products and update existing products or add products if it is a new product?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 01-25-2022 11:00
    Sorry for my delay, Mark. I am trying to add products as new products but I want them to be linked to the Record ID. 

So I have projects 199 and 193 right now. I'm adding inventory to them via the csv. I have 193 or 199 in the Related Product column on the CSV but nothing links when I upload.

Annie Ryden

• 8.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 01-25-2022 11:09
    In your upload, did you upload into the field probably called [Related Project]?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 01-25-2022 11:22
    Yes, I did. The products all uploaded but they didn't link to the project. The Project # is just blank on all. ​

Annie Ryden

• 10.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 01-25-2022 11:25
    What is the field in the Relationship that links the Products to the Project?  What is the Key field of the Project table.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 01-25-2022 11:29
    I'm not sure if I understand. "Each Project has many Products". The "Reference Field" for Projects is "Related Project". 

Annie Ryden

• 12.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 01-25-2022 11:57
    When you did the upload, did you populate that field with the Record ID# of the Project?   or with the Project ID#, I suspect the latter.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 13.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 01-25-2022 12:09
    I thought I tried both. I just tried again using the Record ID # and it worked!!!!! Thank you, Mark! I appreciate your help on this so much!! ​

Annie Ryden

• 14.  RE: Upload CSV and link to project record ID

Posted 01-25-2022 12:37
    :) If you were willing to change the Key field of the Project Table to the Project ID, then it would be easier to import, but that might have a lot of implications in your existing relationships.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com