Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Unable To Create New Child Records In Grid-Edit

Posted 11-04-2021 15:12
    We have a table structure as follows:
    (Job) is a parent to both (Phase Codes) and (Estimates).  (Estimates) and (Phase Codes) can both have many (Estimate-Phase) records.
    Estimate-Phases ERD
    After a minimum of one (Estimate-Phase) child record exists on an (Estimate), it appears in an embedded table report on the (Estimate) form view.  The form view has the native add record button to create additional (Estimate-Phase) records which is the current default practice for this workflow.  However, we also want users to be able to create new child (Estimate-Phase) records directly from the embedded table in grid-edit mode.
    [Phase Code] is set up as a conditional lookup on [Job (Est)] with a custom record picker.  This works as expected in form view on the (Estimate-Phases) table.
    However, in grid-edit mode the user is unable to select a [Phase Code] from the dropdown list, even though the parent (Estimate) has been filled in on the next table row and [Job (Est)] is displaying the related (Job) value.
    Embedded (Estimate-Phases) Table

(Estimate-Phases) Embedded Table in Grid-Edit

Error Message

- This relationship works in form view, but does not work in grid-edit.
    - Even though a value is populating in [Job (Est)] on the new record row, the user is unable to select a related [Phase Code] for the same [Job (Est)].
    Can anyone provide insight as to something we may be doing incorrectly between the form view and the grid-edit that is blocking this from working?

------------------------------
    Jon Froderberg
    PRIME Developer
    Harder Mechanical Contractors
    https://www.harder.com
    Portland, OR

• 2.  RE: Unable To Create New Child Records In Grid-Edit

Posted 11-22-2021 16:46
    I have submitted this item to Quickbase tech support (Ticket 672648), and have learned that this is a known issue with the platform with an existing escalated Quickbase ticket.  When I get that ticket number I will append it to this post.

Jon Froderberg
    PRIME Developer
    Portland, OR

• 3.  RE: Unable To Create New Child Records In Grid-Edit

Posted 11-23-2021 10:37
    I have run into this issue before. My workaround was to create blank rows via pipeline (other than the relationship field - it would be filled in) ahead of the time that the user would be filling in on the grid. Once the record exists and is related to the parent, conditional dropdowns work in grid edit. In my case, it was for timesheets so it was simple enough to have the blanks ready before user interaction. There was a pipeline running weekly to remove the blanks once users were done interacting with that timesheet-week. It may be trickier if the users are intending to use the grid while adding a new parent record or immediately after adding one.

Melissa Doran
    Jr Solutions Consultant
    Quandary Consulting Group

linkedin.com/in/melissardoran
    mdoran@quandarycg.com

• 4.  RE: Unable To Create New Child Records In Grid-Edit

Posted 11-24-2021 15:33
    Thanks Melissa!  I appreciate your suggestion!
    Our workflow has the user creating these records on-demand and they would need to be able to create the child records as-needed.  I'll describe the workaround that Stanley came up with in a separate post to the main thread.

Jon Froderberg
    PRIME Developer
    Portland, OR

• 5.  RE: Unable To Create New Child Records In Grid-Edit

Posted 11-24-2021 15:37
    Edited by Dev Quandary 11-24-2021 15:37

• 6.  RE: Unable To Create New Child Records In Grid-Edit

Posted 11-24-2021 15:41

Awesome, I'll be on the lookout for that post.

I'd love to see other solutions to this problem as it seems to crop up fairly often for me. 

Melissa Doran
    Jr Solutions Consultant
    Quandary Consulting Group

linkedin.com/in/melissardoran
    mdoran@quandarycg.com

• 7.  RE: Unable To Create New Child Records In Grid-Edit

Posted 11-24-2021 15:54
    I have closed out this ticket with QB for the time being with the following workaround from Stanley.
    1. He changed the [Phase Code] field to no longer be required at the table level.
    2. Then, he copied the main form and appended (Grid Edit) to the end of the form name.  On the Estimate-Phase forms settings, he set the new (Grid Edit) report in the column for 'Grid Edit (Full Site)' column for everyone.
    3. He made [Phase Code] required on the original main form, and left it not required on the (Grid Edit) form.
    4.  Now, when the user wants to grid edit the embedded table report on the parent record, they can fill down the one required field [Est. No.] to create the number of child records desired and then click (Apply Changes) to save them to the database.
    5.  Lastly, the user can then successfully select the desired [Phase Code] on each record without being blocked by [Job (Est)].

The plus is users can now build out multiple child records from the parent record form view.
    The delta is that users can now create child records that are not fully built out with a [Phase Code].

We will have to monitor this feature to see if it becomes an issue where we need to revert back to using the form view only.
    Stanley informed me that escalations do not have their own ticket number, they are simply attached to existing tickets.  Hopefully this will be fixed sometime in the coming year.

Jon Froderberg
    PRIME Developer
    Portland, OR