Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Search related fields for Duplicate

Posted 11-20-2020 10:46
    Edited by Michael Tamoush 11-20-2020 11:57
    I have a related field that has a dropdown where you can search as typical (probably 30,000 records) for a particularly entry number (number is really an alpha numeric code). If the record the user wants does not exist, I have a text field that says 'Enter New Entry Number'.

However, if they manually enter a new entry number that already exists (perhaps they didn't search correctly or even try to search), I want the system to not allow it.

I eventually use one of their two choices in an automation. So alternately, is there a way in an automation to say "If exists, do x y z. If does not exist, add record, then do x y z"

Is this possible?

------------------------------
    Mike Tamoush

• 2.  RE: Search related fields for Duplicate

Posted 11-20-2020 12:17
    Is the Entry Number the key field for the related table? If so, you can build another relationship (exactly like you already have), but then change the new 'Related Entry Number' field to a formula field that references the 'Enter New Entry Number' field. You'd want to have some lookup value for this new relationship - probably Record ID# - and then you can set a form rule to 'Abort Save' if there is something in the entry field and there is no value in the lookup field.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 3.  RE: Search related fields for Duplicate

Posted 11-20-2020 12:27
    That's a brilliant idea. Going to do that right now.

Mike Tamoush