Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Conditional Multi-Select Fields

Posted 07-05-2020 06:08
    Hello, 
    As per title, I'm trying to have a record with a multi-select field with a conditional content.
    I've been able successful in using conditional dropdowns to create relations such as https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/conditional_dropdowns_basic_setup.html.
    However that only allows for a many to one relation.

I'd need to have a field where I can select multiple types of "exams" for a single record. 
    The multi-select text field with the "populate from another field" option, is perfect for what I want to do, as I do not need linking to another table, just using a central table to manage all possible exams.

However each exam is linked to a category, and there are lots of them, as such I'd be able to filter the multi-select text field using the category, is that possible somehow?

Many thanks
    Francesco

------------------------------
    Francesco

• 2.  RE: Conditional Multi-Select Fields

Posted 07-05-2020 09:55
    It's not possible to use a multi select field as a Conditional Drop Down filter.

I see two options. 

One option is to drop that approach and set and set up a many to many relationship between a table of those Multi Select  values and the exams. That will take some set up work to load up all the assignments in that middle join table. 

The other approach would be to use a technique I call the User Focus technique which would allow the user to launch off a record to set the focus for that user and then land the user on a filtered list of qualifying exams. That would require a 1 hour one on one session to get that working.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Conditional Multi-Select Fields

Posted 07-15-2020 06:31
    Hi mark,
    thank you for the quick reply, to which I was not as fast to get back to...
    Given what you say, I think the easiest right now is to go with a simple list, it will be more difficult to maintain, but the many to many relation is not really the best UX for my usecase and from what you describe, neither would be the second technique.
    I think what I will do will be to use a field named such as "Category - Exam" so that the user can type the category to "act" as a quick filter for the list (or directly the exam name). It's not ideal, because the category will also be saved in the field, and it's not needed, but probably the easiest way to handle it.

Francesco