Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Timeline Report / Calendar Report

• 1.  Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 17 days ago
    Hey Everyone,

I had some questions about these reports to help understand my limitations...

I have an app that takes Job data for 7 different departments tied to that Job, and I've estimated how many days each department would take to complete each phase of the Job. (Every job has 4 phases). 
    Is there a way to get this Job to display on a schedule (I'm thinking Timeline?) to show what each departments(7) duration will be by each phase(4). So showing when each department starts and ends one of those phases? I have start dates for each phase, and duration in days for how long each department is estimated to take on each phase. Just trying to see what my options are for showing this visually for a 'quick look' at each Job. So at the MAX I'd be showing 28 'visual bars' on a calendar or timeline to show duration.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

------------------------------
    Alex Bennett

• 2.  RE: Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 17 days ago
    Unfortunately, not the way that you have it structured. The Timeline Report (Gantt) utilizes individual records with a Start and End date.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 3.  RE: Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 17 days ago
    So I would have to break up my Job record with all the data into multiple to be able to show all of them up on a Timeline Report?

Alex Bennett

• 4.  RE: Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 17 days ago
    If you want to show the Start / End time for each Department on a Timeline report, each Department would have to have be a child record to the Job and your report would be done on that child table.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 5.  RE: Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 17 days ago

So this is the layout of my app, there are 7 departments that I'm trying to display on a calendar or timeline to visually display their durations in 4 phases. Right now this Schedules table is a child of my Jobs table. So you're saying I'll have to Split each department into separate records? If so, how would I display all the records needed separately on a Timeline Report?

Alex Bennett

• 6.  RE: Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 17 days ago
    Unfortunately, this is the downside of building all of this on a single Schedules table. If you are capturing the same information for each Dept/Phase combination, it's better to set that up as a single record and use the built-in Summary fields to calculate any totals that you may need. Essentially, you would end up with quite a few more tables, but your application would be structured for growth.

So, essentially, you need a structure similar to this:
    In about 30 minutes, I put together an example application with the following tables:

And produced this:

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 7.  RE: Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 17 days ago
    So If I only have 2 Tables being Jobs and Schedules, how hard would this be to convert over to split these up? When all my data on Schedules is either being Lookup fields, and formula fields calculating these fields for totals. Now that I have this built out I'm not sure how to go about breaking it up without just restarting completely. I do appreciate your help and input though! Thank you!

Alex Bennett

• 8.  RE: Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 16 days ago
    Is there a way I can break up my current table to get this? I'm a little confused on my options for moving forward. So If I'm understanding correctly, not only would I have to split up each Department for that 1 job into individual records, but If I want to show duration by phase for each department I'd have to split those up too? So Id have up to 28 individual records for 1 job?

Alex Bennett

• 9.  RE: Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 16 days ago
    Yes, to do what you're wanting to do, in a way that makes sense for future growth, reporting, etc., you need to have your application structured in a more complex manner. Setting it up in this way may take more time up front, but will make it easier to do things like proper reporting. This also means that for a single Job, you will have many child and grand-child records underneath it, but that does not mean that you would need to create them all manually. There are many ways in which you can setup a 'Template' Job and each time you need to start a new Job, your users would simply click a button that would copy the template for them.

Unfortunately, breaking up your current application would actually be more of a headache than starting over from scratch.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 10.  RE: Timeline Report / Calendar Report

Posted 16 days ago
    Damn. This is rough! lol Total roadblock! lol I was hoping to get this to show up with multiple dates showing per job so we could have a visual indicator on 'how busy' the company would be in the future.
    Something like this that would show multiple start and end dates per Job, and then if I clicked on the job, it would show by Department. Might have to see if I can reach out to Someone at quickbase for help on getting this accomplished, maybe someone who can get into our app and see our structure. I just don't want to make too much clutter on breaking it up and having 28 different records show up on a list for 1 Job. Kind of sucks QuickBase Gantt charts don't include multiple dates per process like above (Process 1) like all the other Gantt charts do. I'm just brainstorming again... but what If I Synced with something like Microsoft Projects? I've never attempted a Sync before but would this be an alternative using an outside Gantt Chart to pull all those dates into? My boss also wants to be able to Click on a 'bar' of start and end dates and move it closer or further based on if it's happening sooner or later... 

Alex Bennett