Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

• 1.  Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-07-2020 19:19
    I am so frustrated!  I've been searching for weeks on a way to auto-fill fields within the same record. I know there has to be an easy way to do this, but I just cannot find it.  Here's what I need:  I have an app that uses multiple tabs.  Each tab is used by a different department within the company. I need the company name, address and phone number to auto-fill from the main tab into other locations within the same record.  Please tell me there is an easy way to do this that I'm just not seeing!  HELP!

------------------------------
    Rebecca Moore

• 2.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-07-2020 19:22
    Sorry.  That wasn't very clear.  I have an app that only has one table.  Each record has multiple tabs.  I need to copy information from the main tab company information fields into different locations in the same record.

Rebecca Moore

• 3.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-07-2020 20:28
    I will answer your question below, but I have to say it is usually not a good idea to have the same information captured in different fields on the form.   Eventually you will want to run some report by customer and you'll have a mess on your hands with the customer being on multiple places on the form and perhaps the customer name spelled differently on each tab. 

Now just to be clear about my interpretation of what you were saying, you seem to be saying that you were capturing for example the customer name in two different fields with two different field names. 

But having said that if you do have a field that needs to be auto filled from another field, you can have a form rule that says the following
    Where multiple conditions are true

my customer name field number two is blank and my customer name field one is not blank copy then actin
    Copies of value from customer name number one into the field customer name number two.
    Remember to uncheck the box at the very bottom of the form so that this fires all the time.

Going back to what would be a better set up, for Common fields it would be better to have those fields at the top of the form and then have the tabs below that says it's a common information is seen by our users for all tabs and then on the tabs there's only unique information just for that tab. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-07-2020 21:10
    Thank you.  So, what if I removed one of the tabs in my table and created a new table with that information.  How could I get the "main" form to populate the address?  I've tried multiple times to do this, but it's just not making any sense to me.  Basically taking the info highlighted below from one table auto-populating fields in another table.  That would remove the duplicates withing the same table.

Rebecca Moore

• 5.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 00:06
    It is possible that you were missing one of the most powerful and fundamental concepts of QuickBase. That is relationships. 

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/about_relationships.html?Highlight=Relationships

Do you have any relationships in your application?.
    For example your customer Table would hold all the customer information and then it would have child records for the other types of information. Then you would look up information from the parent record down to the trial tables. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 00:21
    Another idea  is to simply make a formula field equal to another field and put the formula field on mumltiple tabs of the same form.  There are some special formula I can help you with for Address field types. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 11:23
    Again, Thank You!  I believe that I can separate some of this information into a table to table relationship.  I was able to create the relationship and it works perfectly, but now I have 2 questions.

1.  Can I change the way the child information appears in the parent? If so, how?  I need this information to appear in parent table as if it were a separate tab.

2. I have more than 3 fields that I would like to link.  Is that possible, maybe with a formula?

Rebecca Moore

• 8.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 11:44
    There will have been a field created on the left side of the relationship which is a "Report Link" field type.  That is a special type of field which will "run a report" and put it on the parent record. 

Set the FORM properties for that field to display the child record directly  on the Parent record as an embedded table.   Then make a report to control the columns and the sort of the children and adjust the form Properties to use that report.  The system will have auto created a report called Embedded for Parent that you can use fore this purpose. 

As for adding more than three lookup field, you can only add three lookup fields at a time, but you can do that as many times as you like.  There is no limit.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 13:43
    Does the information always display this way (as a grid), or is there a way to display each individual field as it looks on the child form?

Rebecca Moore

• 10.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 13:56
    Can you post a screen shot of the whole form?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 14:40

Rebecca Moore

• 12.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 14:50
    Sorry, that is not what I was asking for.

You provided a a screen shot above which was just a wide but not deep screen shot of some field headers on a report, presumably on an embedded report on a form.  I was asking to see the whole form on which that report was embedded so i could see the form and the report in the same screen shot.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 13.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 16:36
    Hopefully this is right.  Sorry.  As you can tell, I'm a novice.  I love the program, I'm just learning it VERY slowly!

Rebecca Moore

• 14.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 16:41
    Is your relationship that 1 Client has many Customers?  So the Customer is the child table?  If so, then yes, the customers will appear in a grid and if you need more detail you then drill into a customer in  view mode and display the single customer record on its form.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 15.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 17:30
    So, here's the thing.  It really is a one on one relationship.  Either can be the parent or child.

Rebecca Moore

• 16.  RE: Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

Posted 05-08-2020 17:47
    I think we should stand back and understand your relationships.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com