Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  troubleshooting relationships and crossing records

Posted 06-17-2020 21:57
    Hi All,

I'm pretty new to building a database (a few months). As a result, I tend to try and try again - which has it's advantages and disadvantages. This system is so big that I'm getting myself confused and now have hit a road block on troubleshooting my issue (s). It could be several issues or one, I'm not certain. 

Set-up: 
    GrandParent Table: Members
    Parent Table: Services
    Child Table: Charts

Each Member can have Several Services
    Each Service can have several Charts
    My form on the Member table should show all the associated charts for each service for each member. 

Now, I've been going back and forth on this changing settings to make the relationships work, which I finally was successful. However, in the process, I've crossed members. Fortunately, this is all test data. On my first screen shot, you can see that Member Claude Schamba has multiple Charts with different related Member Names - none of which are him but should only be listed as him. In the second screen shot, you can see my Charting Home Table with records. Claude has 2 records listed among others listed.

I've checked the relationships between Member, Services & Charting and attached those screen prints. I am not sure if there is something else on the relationship that I am missing or if I changed a setting on the field settings or both.

Please help, I'm at a stand still and anything else I look at just confuses me more. 

Cheers! Mary

------------------------------
    Mary Perkins
    M3TR1CS Business Solutions
    mary.perkins@m3tr1cs.com

• 2.  RE: troubleshooting relationships and crossing records

Posted 06-17-2020 22:44
    Ok, this is actually quite easy. 

You do not need to have a Relationship to have a report link field which will display an embedded report in a form.

The middle Services table has the field Related Member. Look up that field down to charts. But name it exactly what it is. 
    [Record ID of Member]

Now, go to the Members table and make a Report Link called Report Link of Charts. You don't need to have any relationship between Members and Charts. 

On the Left of the configuration setting for that field, select Record ID. 
    On the right, select youro app and then the field in Charts [Record ID of Member]

A Report Link field just lives to run reports, and it's just adding an extra filter to the report where the two fields configured have the same value.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: troubleshooting relationships and crossing records

Posted 06-19-2020 15:19
    Hey Mark, 

Thank for helping me see this my issue more clearly/differently. It didn't fix the issue completely, but only because I misnamed one of the reference points. I was able to better troubleshoot after following your directions and get the correct report on the Member page.

Have a great weekend!

Mary

Mary Perkins
    M3TR1CS Business Solutions
    mary.perkins@m3tr1cs.com