Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

• 1.  'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 09-11-2019 10:58
    When working with a form rule to require an address field, the record can be saved without a value in the address field.

I have a form rule that says: When checkbox=true, require Address: Street 1, Address: City, Address: State, Address: Zip. When I check the box and click save, the record saves even with no values in the Address fields.

When I make the field required in the field settings or on the form elements tab, the form requires it. But I need for it to be required only after the checkbox is true.

Can someone test and confirm this happens too? I will report as a bug but want to check first.

------------------------------
    Heather Bryant

• 2.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 09-11-2019 11:12
    Hi Heather, I currently use this functionality in my forms and I just tested it and it works as it should.  Do you have any conflicting form rules that may undo that rule?

Brett Hinman

• 3.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 09-11-2019 11:46
    Hey Brett. Thanks for the quick response. I created a separate form to test, with only the one form rule, and got the same behavior. See below.

Heather Bryant

• 4.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 09-11-2019 12:08
    What I do notice right away is that after you select the check box none of your fields show the red "required" asterisk.  So unless the fields on your form are different than the fields you selected in the form rules (unlikely) then it appears to be some sort of bug to me.

Brett Hinman

• 5.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 09-11-2019 12:20
    Hi Brett, I agree it's some type of bug. It's weird though that it works in your form. Ill put in a support case and update you.

Heather Bryant

• 6.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 03-24-2020 14:19
    Hi Heather,

I'm running into the same problem as you did back in September. I have a form rule that requires an address field, yet I can still save records without filling out the required address field. (In this same rule, I made a different field (type text) required as well, but that one works as expected.)
    This looks like a bug to me as well. Did you end up reporting it? If yes, what was the conclusion? How did you fix this?

Devora Sabo

• 7.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 03-24-2020 15:45
    Hey Devora,
    Yes this is still happening to me, too. I actually just re-visited this with the QB team yesterday. Do you want to connect offline for a few minutes? I'd like to align your situation with mine so I can properly communicate in my existing support case.

Heather Bryant

• 8.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 03-25-2020 09:18
    Hi Heather. I would like to connect - thanks! How can I contact you?

Devora Sabo

• 9.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 03-24-2021 16:53
    Hi Heather,
    Di you ever solve this problem? I am running into the same problem.
    GB

George Bramhall

• 10.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 11 days ago

Hi Heather,

Did you ever find a resolution for this?  I am having he same problem now.

Thanks
    Charlene

Charlene Wilbur

• 11.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 11 days ago
    As far as I know there is no resolution to this if you want to use the real address fields. This is still a bug that happens. I am not sure 100% why but it probably has something to do with the way address fields are split up into multiple fields of their own.

There are several possible workarounds that may work for you. These are what I can think of but there may be more or better options.

1. Create your own text fields to act like the address fields, you can require these. You lose the ability to type an address and have it fill part of it in.

2. Change your process and find a way to utilize 2 forms. One form would have the normal address field on there but have it be required all the time. If a user is required to fill it out then send them to the required form only.

• 12.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 11 days ago
    HI!  I've already done the first thing in your list.  It's just frustrating.

Thanks!

Charlene Wilbur

• 13.  RE: 'Require' Form Rule Doesn't Require Address Fields

Posted 10 days ago
    Hi Charlene,

Being able to prevent a record from saving without an address field being filled in is actually possible now through the use of custom data rules. Custom data rules allows you to set rules under which a record could not be saved or edited and can run from not allowing a record to be saved if a field is blank or up to requiring that several conditions be true. They are built using the formula language used in formula fields and can be added to your table right in the table's advanced settings. You are even able to set your own error messages that pop up to warn a user that they need to fix something on the record before they can save. For example you could use a formula like:

If([Address Field]="", "You must include an address on each company record")

This will prevent them from saving till that field is not blank and pop up this message for them. This way you could just require that address field or only require it when someone indicates for example that they are working from home instead of in office and need to provide a home address for your records. Then they would see the error like below to help direct them to next steps.

Evan Martinez