Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Employee onboarding

Posted 11-20-2019 12:13
    Does anyone have any experience with employee onboarding apps? Is anyone currently using Quickbase for this feature? We're looking at options out there and I wondered if I could just have that built into QBase rather than deal with another outside provider. I would be looking to track typical HR type stuff, as well as have the employee be able to log in via a web portal to check things like paystubs, health insurance, etc.

Any ideas out there?

------------------------------
    Chris Newsome

• 2.  RE: Employee onboarding

Posted 11-20-2019 12:19
    We have apps which allow the HR staff to click a button and auto import child records representing both tasks required for onboarding and also similarly Termination Tasks.  There are automated subscriptions of overdue tasks which can fire to the hiring manager if they are responsible for the task.

The set of tasks are dependent on the Class of Employee - for example the set of tasks for a sales rep is different of those for a warehouse hire although there can be some overlap.  So we have a set of tasks and then checkboxes, say about 10-15 of them to indicate of that task is relevant to that position type.  

We use this both in the IT department and also in the HR / Hiring Manager Departments.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Employee onboarding

Posted 11-20-2019 13:41
    Does this offer the employee portal, or is that even a possibility in qbase?

Chris Newsome

• 4.  RE: Employee onboarding

Posted 11-20-2019 13:59
    The general technique I was describing was really one of auto creating task lists.  Typically, my clients employees all have individual Quick Base userids, as there are many many apps they access.  When you say the word "portal", I'm thinking that you are referring to employee access without individual Quick Base userids.

If you have an issue with a large number of employees who do not have userids and the list price of the seats makes the project unfeasible, recently Quick Base Sales is more open to discussing alternative pricing arrangements for low usage users and users restricted to say an individual app where they just are Viewers. 

You would need to put in a support ticket to request someone form Sales contacts you.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Employee onboarding

Posted 11-20-2019 14:39
    Your suspicion is correct, not all of our employees have or need quickbase access. We are a manufacturing facility, so there's no need for the labor crew to access QBase, and we really don't see the need to pay for them to have it just to access their info. 

This really gets to the heart of my question - should I pursue this through quickbase, or just go to another source?

Chris Newsome

• 6.  RE: Employee onboarding

Posted 11-20-2019 15:05
    Well,.... there are a set of Authorized Quick Base Solution Providers who are authorized to create Web Portals under strict compliance conditions from Quick Base.  But I actually do not know if any QSPs still do that, because Quick Base changed their thinking and they are now allowing use cases for limited access users at lower pricing per user.

But here is the issue.  If you want to post information for employees to access which is not user specific (say to pull down blank dental claim forms), but you just do not want to have an EOTI app, then that is probably OK to have a website serve that up.

But certainly if you go to a web "guy" and ask him/her  to come up with a web portal where you assign non Quick Base userids to your warehouse staff in order to limit their access to the their own personal information, such as say pay stubs, then that is a clear violation of the Terms of Use Agreement that you will have accepted with Quick Base.  In layman's terms they sell the product by the seat and you are not allowed to cheat on the effective seat count using technical means. 

Having real Quick Base userids certainly simplifies things, for example to be able to send out Automated Subscription reports where each of say 200 warehouse employees received a Subscription report with one just record of their own last week's pay stub.  ie a 1 record report.  

So I recommend that you contact sales via the Care Team and plead your case.  There is not a published price for limited access users.  They are evaluated on a case by case basis based on the degree of limitations and the number of seats.   Also we are nearing their financial year end (they are on a calendar financial year)  so maybe they will be motivated to cut you a great deal to book a December deal and get their numbers up!  By January it's a whole new year ahead and they may be less flexible.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Employee onboarding

Posted 11-20-2019 15:43
    Chris,

Quick Base can do it all.  However the User issue can be a huge hurdle. 

I have one client where everybody is a user so we built everything there.

Another one where it was not an option so they use a system from their Payroll Provider.   They are all ready paying for that because of the need for tax withholding and Direct Deposit.   See if that solution is already out there but you are not taking advantage of it.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 8.  RE: Employee onboarding

Posted 11-20-2019 16:17
    We are in the same boat as your second option. I don't see the value in spending $30 per person to add them all to quickbase, as the only use will be to access their employee portal. I guess I will check with our payroll company... my thought was having the data on my end would make potentially switching payroll companies much easier.

Chris Newsome