Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Best way to update several records at once

• 1.  Best way to update several records at once

Posted 03-11-2020 14:47
    Greetings,

What might be the best way to select, say, 10 records and change a field value on all of them in one go?

Here's the scenario: I'm working on an app that manages photo image production for an online retailer. There's an inventory tracking aspect so that, for instance, a photographer knows where to find the widgets he's been requested to shoot. If he's picking up, say, 10 widgets to take into the studio for a session, he needs to update the locations of the 10 inventory items associated with the photo requests he's working on to indicate they are now in the studio. Similarly, when he's done, he returns them to the inventory rack and updates the app with their current location.

Doing the same action 10 times is fairly tedious, not to mention, error prone. How might I give my intrepid photographer an easier way to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Rick Putnam

• 2.  RE: Best way to update several records at once

Posted 03-11-2020 15:10
    You can use grid edit to copy & paste or on a table page you can use search & replace (you would want to make sure the report is only showing the records you want to search and replace in):

Adam Keever

• 3.  RE: Best way to update several records at once

Posted 03-11-2020 15:25
    Rick, I have a couple of other suggestions that I will post soon.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Best way to update several records at once

Posted 03-11-2020 18:55
    Rick, I re-read your question.
    I think we should start with the basics, like Adam suggested.  Have you ever used Grid Edit?  There are other options I can help you with if you wanted say a button to click to change the location of the record to "Studio", but it sounds like when they are put back in inventory, that there could be many different possible locations so a button solution won't work as you need to enter the location.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Best way to update several records at once

Posted 03-12-2020 13:03
    Hi, Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Based on Adam's suggestion I've been experimenting with the Grid Edit. It is certainly a solution that will work though I was hoping for something still easier from a UX perspective -- but that may not be possible.

You are correct that a button that just does "Move to Studio" is probably not flexible enough for my use case. However, if you're game, I would welcome a high-level hint on how one might implement something like that.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,
    Rick

Rick Putnam

• 6.  RE: Best way to update several records at once

Posted 03-12-2020 14:13
    Here is an example of the code required in a formula URL button to update a record and refresh the page.

var text URL = URLRoot() & "db" & dbid() & "?act=API_EditRecord&rid=" & [Record ID#] 
    & "&_fid_99=" & URLEncode("Studio");

"javascript:" &
    "$.get('" &
    $URL &
    "',function(){" &
    "location.reload(true);" &
    "});"
    & "void(0);"

In the example above field ID# 99 is being updated with the word Studio and then the page will refresh.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com