Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Pipelines VS Zapier and other services

Posted 01-06-2021 11:12
    Edited by Jeff Peterson 01-06-2021 11:13
    Can anyone give any reasons why Pipelines is better/different than Zapier or other similar IFTTT services?    

I had set up a bunch of automations in pipelines but found the number of steps provided to be insufficient.   When I contacted our account manager to inquire about increasing our monthly allotment of steps, I learned that they can only be purchased in one-time 'chunks' of 10k steps for a price that is about 20x the price per 'task' on zapier.  

I can't see any reason to pay so much more for what is the same functionality as zapier, and I've already started migrating the pipelines I built to Zapier.   I wanted to keep pipelines just because I find it convenient to have it as a part of quickbase and the interface is different than zapier, but the pricing model is extremely prohibitive.

Does anyone else have any experience with pipelines vs other services?

------------------------------
    Jeff Peterson

• 2.  RE: Pipelines VS Zapier and other services

Posted 01-06-2021 11:25
    I'm curious if most of your Pipeline Steps are internal Quick Base to Quick Base or external?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Pipelines VS Zapier and other services

Posted 01-06-2021 11:50
    Edited by Jeff Peterson 01-06-2021 12:02
    We have a combination of internal and external.   We connect to several outside services to pull info into QB and then update records in outside services from QB.   I think a lot of steps are consumed filtering records from outside systems, but it's difficult to avoid that with what we are doing.

Jeff Peterson

• 4.  RE: Pipelines VS Zapier and other services
    Best Answer

Posted 01-06-2021 13:13
    Depending on what external systems you're connecting to, Pipelines is not a service I'm comfortable recommending to my clients - yet. For internal automation, sure, but unless it's super simple, my feeling on external is that Pipelines is just too new/limited at the moment. Also, with how limited the system is with regards to estimating cost/steps, identifying usage per pipeline/step, etc., I'm not comfortable pushing a client to use a paid service when all we have access to is a Total Cost, rather than an itemized bill.

I'm hopeful that their pricing model and billing is made a little clearer in 2021, but we shall see.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/