Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  When does a checkbox set in a URL get checked by Dynamic Form Rules?

Posted 07-16-2021 14:45
    I have a checkbox field in a table (don't we all :) ).

I set or clear the checkbox from the URL that the form is accessed with using the '&_fid_10=1" type syntax at the end of the URL.

I have a Dynamic Form Rule that uses the checkbox to set some 'default' values for a few of the form fields.  For the Dynamic Form Rule, I have unchecked 'Fire "change" actions only when a condition changes from false to true.

I display the checkbox as part of the form display to see if it checked or not.

When the form displays initially, the checkbox field is checked (desired) but the fields that I wanted to be set via the Dynamic Form Rules are not set as desired.  If I uncheck and then re-check the checkbox field, then the fields are set with the desired default values.

Why, if the checkbox field is set coming into the form, is the Dynamic Form Rule not getting triggered?

------------------------------
    Katherine Oakey

• 2.  RE: When does a checkbox set in a URL get checked by Dynamic Form Rules?

Posted 07-16-2021 14:51
    Dynamic Form Rules only fire when the actual record is up on our browser screen and you edit the record  in the browser in edit mode.  So pushing a  button to run a formula URL will not cause form rules to fire. The form rules actually run on the Browser and not at Quickbase.

One way to think of this that might help you feel that this of course makes sense is that a particular table could have 10 forms used for different purposes in different circumstances. If you were to edit the record with an API or pushing a button would you expect that the Dynamic Form Rules from all 10 forms would suddenly start firing all at once? Of course not.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: When does a checkbox set in a URL get checked by Dynamic Form Rules?

Posted 07-16-2021 15:14
    Then why does a field display or not display based on a Dynamic Form Rule but not the field value?

I have a different form that will display, or not, a field based on how a checkbox is set.

Katherine Oakey

• 4.  RE: When does a checkbox set in a URL get checked by Dynamic Form Rules?

Posted 07-16-2021 15:32
    I do not understand the question really.

When you view the record on the form if there are dynamic form rules on that form that control which fields should be shown or hidden then they will show or hide based on those formulas.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: When does a checkbox set in a URL get checked by Dynamic Form Rules?

Posted 07-16-2021 22:55
    I guess where I am confused is the behavior of a field on the form vs the behavior of a field 'value' on the form.

ie, display or not display a field vs set the value of a field to 'something'.

What I tried is just setting the actual 'default for this form' value via the URL using the dfid and fid values and the field value I want to start the form with was set in the field (values are from a dropdown list).

Now, I set both field that I want to start with a specific value via the fid in the form URL.  I don't know if that is the right way to do things but I think it's doing what I want :)

Katherine Oakey