Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

• 1.  Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-23-2020 14:37
    I'm having trouble getting an embedded report to work. Let me lay everything out:

2 tables: Installations and Installers
    relationship is Installers < Installations

When i go to an "Installer" record, i want to see an embedded report of all "Installations" he's done. I created the report under "Installations" that i want - it filters to a more recent time period, etc. This report looks great, and lists multiple installs for each installer. 

When I embed this report on my "Installer" form, I created a report link, connecting the "record ID" to the "Installer name" fields. When I look at an Installer record, the embedded report only returns 1 result, even though when I look at the report without embedding it, I see all results. I can't figure what I'm missing here that's causing this issue. Any ideas out there?

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 2.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-23-2020 14:44
    In a report link field, the two fields that you configure in the report link field need to match.  You are saying that you are trying to match a [Record ID#] field with an Installer Name field.  That does not make sense.  you need to look at the relationship and use the same two fields which connect the tables or else, alternatively, you can just delete the report link field and then use the button on the Relationship to recreate that field properly.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-23-2020 15:17
    So the report link button creates the "Record ID" side of that equation for me... my understanding was that it was looking at the installer record ID and comparing it to the Installer's name, which is linked as a selection box field on the "installation." When I try to change the "record ID" side of the report link, i get nothing at all, not even the 1 result. I'm not sure I understand how to change it per your post. If I can't choose anything other than Record ID, what do I point it at on the Installer side of the relationship? And why does it actually show me 1 record now?

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 4.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-23-2020 15:22
    In a  normal Report Link field the left side will be [Record ID#] and the right side will be Related Installer].

That assumes that when you look at the relationship between Installer and Installations that the field on the left is [Record ID#] (ie the Key to the Installers Table is still the [Record ID#] field and you did not change it to be [Installer Name].

If you did make the Key field of Installers to be the Installer Name then you need to match on Installer Name.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-23-2020 16:08
    Would it cause an issue if I have 3 fields - first name, last name, and a field that combines the 2 called "name"? I'm trying to match based on "name" but maybe this is causing me the trouble.

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 6.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-23-2020 16:09
    A Report Link field just needs to have two fields on the two tables which match exactly.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-23-2020 16:23

So i use the "name" field (which combines first and last names) in the "Installation" record, so they should match then. it seems like you're saying that what I've got should work. I not seeing where your solution is different than what I'm already doing. Here are some images that may help. Should I change the "key" field for my installers table?

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 8.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-23-2020 16:34
    What I said was the in the Teport link field properties the two fields need to match

in you screen shot the left field is Record ID and the right field is installer name. Those are different. One is a number. One is words.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-24-2020 16:54
    Any suggestions on how to get this to work then? I've never encountered this issue. I've made lots of embedded reports and it's usually very easy.

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 10.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-24-2020 16:58
    Well one solution is to delete the report link field on the relationship and then there will be a button to recreate a report link field,  then it will work.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-27-2020 09:35
    OK, i did that. The new report link came in by default with this setup:

Match                   To the values in this field
    Record ID# ---- Installations: Related Installer

I did not change anything, just hit "report link" and this happened all on its own. I never even had a chance to choose the field it was matching. Obviously this turns up 0 results. I've tried changing it to "Installations: Record ID#" which also turns up 0 results. 

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 12.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-27-2020 09:49
    So if I change it to "Name" ---- "Installations: Related Installer - Name" (these 2 fields are text and should match up) i am back to only getting 1 result, like when I started this thread. This is so confusing... normally i can figure this stuff out on my own but this is kicking my butt.

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 13.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-27-2020 10:48
    Hi Chris
    Can you contact me directly and I will have a look at you app on a screen share session no problem.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 14.  RE: Embedded Reports only returning 1 result

Posted 01-28-2020 15:12
    Mark solved the problem so fast my head spun. He's an awesome guy and a big help in the Qbase community!

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome