Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Best Way To Summarize Numbers To Calculate Overages

Posted 10-10-2019 19:27

The table structure is one Parent Company has many Companies and one Company has many activities. The parent company record contains a limit to calculate overages. The activity records contain a Time Logged Field and a Date/Time Field.

Currently, I summarize Time Logged from Activities into Companies, filtered to only summarize from previous month. That data is then summarized into the Parent Company where that total - limit is the overage for the previous month. This works great for calculating overages for the previous month. But what if I want to calculate the previous quarter, or a random month from the previous year?

Should I be trying to summarize this in the Activity table or Parent Company Table? 

I can easily sort my Month and Date in the Activity table, but can I pull down the limit and use it in a calculation against a total in a summary report?

------------------------------
    Jordan Beatty

• 2.  RE: Best Way To Summarize Numbers To Calculate Overages

Posted 10-10-2019 22:46
    I don't think there is a way to use the Limit down at the Activity level in overage calculations. 

If you want to have adjustable time periods, you can set up a new table called Date Selection, with a single record. Set up two fields for start and end dates. It will be the only record so Record ID =1.

link that in a relationship to all activities with a reference field which is a formula that calculates to 1.

That will allow you to create summary fields where the dates fall within the Date Selections. 

I suggest that you show the overage report an a Report Link right on the Date Selector Record, so it's obvious what the selected dates are.  Or else also link it to the Parent Company and/or Companies to b3 able to show the date range on the reports. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Best Way To Summarize Numbers To Calculate Overages

Posted 10-22-2019 17:42

My mistake, didn't realized responding through email sent a direct message.

So it's been a reallll long time since I have had to do anything Quickbase related. I have it linked so that a table called Date Range has many activities. So I changed the reference field from numeric to numeric formula, but it keeps telling me it is expecting text?

Jordan Beatty

• 4.  RE: Best Way To Summarize Numbers To Calculate Overages

Posted 10-22-2019 17:56
    The formula for the reference field in Activities should just be

ie, just a 1

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com