Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 12:08
    I wanted to see what is the easiest way to have a dynamic rule that shows a message when a field is updated/changed.

I don't see a basic native way unless I'm missing something.

------------------------------
    cowannbell cowannbell

• 2.  RE: Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 12:19
    C,

You can put a formula field into the record that will tell you if there was a modification. 

Compare Today() with [Date Modified] for whatever duration you want.

However the field [Date Modified] is for the entire record.  It does not tell you which field was modified on that day.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 3.  RE: Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 12:21
    I only want it to show up with a date field changes from null to not null.  Maybe I can put it a hidden checkbox.

cowannbell cowannbell

• 4.  RE: Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 14:14
    So once it goes from blank to having data you want it to forever display a message on the form for that record? Or for only a certain amount of time?

• 5.  RE: Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 15:58
    Forever.  It's a reminder to do something else.

cowannbell cowannbell

• 6.  RE: Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 16:08
    C,

So you have a Date field and need to know the Date of the Date.

Add another field called [Date DTS]. 
    The program an Automation that will fill that field when [Date] goes from Null to filled.   

You now use the [Date DTS] for your reporting on the change in the field [Date]

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 7.  RE: Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 16:34
    They only way I see that you get the option of when a field changes display a message is if you use when the record is saved.

What I have done right now is to save when Term date is not equal to  Null, show message.  However that is not the best way to do it.  It seems that Quickbase only gives you the on change option if you use the on save option.

cowannbell cowannbell

• 8.  RE: Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 16:58
    I see what Don is going for and he is right that you will end up with more reporting options by doing it that way. This is a good way to do it so you can have better reporting later on and see things like "15 records had their date changed in July of 2020". If you don't care about being able to see how many records had the date filled in X month or whatever, you can do it simpler.

Create a rich text field that has big red text or whatever attention drawing thing you want and have that show up when the date field is no longer blank via form rules. If you need help setting that up in the form rules I can give more guidance on that. That is one way to do it.

• 9.  RE: Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 17:15
    I don't care about capturing or reporting on anything.  I just want the reminder.  The red text won't help in my case because I have tabs and the field that needs to be checked is on another tab.

Carol McConnell

• 10.  RE: Dynamic Form Rules Message on Change

Posted 01-29-2020 18:03
    You can still put the message on the header of the record on the first tab even though it refers to action needing to be taken on another Tab.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com