Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Help with Copying a record to a new table upon changes

• 1.  Help with Copying a record to a new table upon changes

Posted 08-28-2019 14:29
    My application has a Projections table. 

Each record corresponds to a project's projections. This form has a hundred fields, and each time a forecast changes, a user must go in and edit the record for the applicable month, value of the change, and note why change occurred.

As you can imagine changes happen all of the time, and right now I don't have a way of looking at how a field changes over time.

For example
    - On 8/1 the user entered $100 in Sales for October.
    - On 8/10 the user entered $5000 in Sales for October.
    - On 8/25 the user entered $3500 in Sales for October.

What would be the best way to look at how this field changes over time?
    Keep in mind there are 242 records in this table, and over 200 fields in the form.

I've tried to create a table to table import --- but there's no way to force the change only when date modifed = now.

I've made an automation to add a record to a snapshot table, but I would hate to map all 200 fields from my old table to the snapshot table.

------------------------------
    Ashley Asante

• 2.  RE: Help with Copying a record to a new table upon changes

Posted 08-29-2019 12:28
    Ashley, 

The root cause of the problem is that you have hard coded your projections into fixed fields as opposed to a child table of Monthly Projections.  I know that tis may not be the answer that you want to hear, but I suggest That you consider a change to the structure of your app. 

In Quick Base anytime you fInd yourself creating dozens or even a few very similar fields it should "feel wrong" and you should re-think the data base design.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    markshnier2@gmail.com