Getting Started

View Only
  • 1.  Granting one user multiple roles

Posted 08-06-2020 15:25
    I recently assigned a user (not an admin) to multiple roles in the same app. That user has a management role as well as a test - front office role. I want the user to be able to view patients based on one form I created for the management role, but I also want this user to view a beta version of a new form I created under their test - front office role within the same table. My question is, how does this user toggle back and forth from multiple roles? Are they asked to select a role when they log in or do I need to go through an additional step(s) in order for this to work?

------------------------------
    AR

• 2.  RE: Granting one user multiple roles

Posted 08-06-2020 15:39
    Edited by Austin K 08-06-2020 15:40
    They are given permissions that are the highest between the 2 roles for whatever they are doing.

I am not 100% on which role the form goes with automatically but I am thinking it will go with the role that is highest in the role list. That is what I am remembering anyway.

If you want them to jump between forms on a record you can give them a button on both forms that is only shown to whatever role they are in. You can use &dfid=20 in the URL and replace 20 with the form id you want them to go to.

The URL for that button would be:

URLRoot()&"db/"&[_DBID_MY_TABLE]&"?a=dr&dfid=15&rid="&[Record ID#]

You can change the "?a=dr" part to be "?a=er" to edit the record instead.

• 3.  RE: Granting one user multiple roles

Posted 08-06-2020 16:40
    That worked. Thank you, Austin!

AR

• 4.  RE: Granting one user multiple roles

Posted 08-07-2020 08:30
    Good morning,
    That way definitely will work. However, I think that a better long term solution would be to utilize the test as other users or role feature. You will need to grant their role this ability. They will be able to flip between the different roles to see what others are/will see.

Hope this helps!
    John

John Crosland
    Software Developer
    Inglett & Stubbs
    Mableton GA

• 5.  RE: Granting one user multiple roles

Posted 08-07-2020 11:11
    That's true, I was thinking more along the lines of a permanent thing. I have some users that actually have this same thing set up, because they need to save data in both forms. So they cannot test as the other user because data save is blocked. But I do see Angel said they only needed view access, which would work with test as user.

• 6.  RE: Granting one user multiple roles

Posted 08-07-2020 12:24
    Good afternoon,
    You're correct that the test as user will block edits or additions. However, the test as role will not. In the past, this was able to be used as a way to increase your access level artificially. I believe that this loophole has been closed, and the user can no longer test as a higher role unless they are explicitly given that access level. The main issue that I run into with users in multiple roles is setting up the different Home Page Dashboards (instead of table forms) for them, because there are times when they will act inside of one role and other times that they will act inside of another role.

John Crosland
    Software Developer
    Inglett & Stubbs
    Mableton GA