Getting Started

View Only
  • 1.  Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Posted 03-09-2021 09:25
    Where is the documentation on using javascript in QuickBase? I was searching in google for javascript in QuickBase documentation but I couldn't find any. Please give me the link to the documentation.

------------------------------
    Aswin Babu

• 2.  RE: Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Posted 03-09-2021 09:52
    Edited by Angel Rodriguez 03-09-2021 11:17
    You would more than likely refer to the Code Pages documentation and the RESTful API documentation, too. The RESTful API documentation is nice because it demonstrates how to use jQuery and the Fetch API with code pages. Other than that, I'm not sure where else you'd find other JavaScript documentation for QuickBase unless you search around a bit on the community forums. I'm sure other users have some input on this as well.

AR

• 3.  RE: Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Posted 03-10-2021 04:54
    In RESTful API documentation page its mostly about writing query, but i need javascript mainly to bring more programmatic ability to some auto-generated fields in records. In many Q&A I have seen experts giving answers by using js. If there is a doc I can  program myself, but there seems no docs. related with this.

Aswin Babu

• 4.  RE: Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Posted 03-10-2021 10:14
    It isn't very intuitive on their site but keep in mind that you can select the code you want to see on there. You have to do it for every single thing you view but you can see a code example in JavaScript or even JavaScript ES6. It can be tough to smash many code examples together from this website but it may help give a starting point if you did not notice this before.

• 5.  RE: Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Posted 03-12-2021 03:19
    This is something I'm very much interested in. I have seen some examples and it seems using programming language like Python is only for querying the database. Is there any way by which I can deploy my python code in QuickBase (may be in code pages/formula fields) and use its result in another dedicated field.
    If so, please guide.

Aswin Babu

• 6.  RE: Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Posted 03-12-2021 09:39
    Can you use automations, webhooks or even formulas to do that? It seems like you can use some of QuickBase's native features to do this. If you're using a result from one field into another, you still have to query the database in order to grab that data and present it in another field. Can you give more detail into what you're actually trying to accomplish? Perhaps a more concrete example.

AR

• 7.  RE: Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Posted 03-12-2021 10:49
    Currently, I want to create a cumulative sum field based on a field in the table. Please check the example below. 
    Movie name Collections Actor Name Cumulative sum
    One Night    10   Williams    10
    At the call center    25   Williams    35
    Kumbalangi    20   Jason    20
    Roja    30   Williams    65
    Chichore    15   Jason    35
    Here the cumulative sum is based on the field name - "Actors name". Based on the field - "actors name" the value in collections are added cumulatively. I hope you understood the example.
    I can easily do this through python. But I'm confused about how to do this in QuickBase through python.

Aswin Babu

• 8.  RE: Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Posted 03-09-2021 10:43
    Even if there was documentation on this it would be outdated now. Quickbase is trying their best to remove the ability for the average user to use JavaScript directly on a form or anywhere except for a code page. Things are in the process of changing right now so I would say many things are sort of "up in the air" at this time.

Now that they have started this they have created some examples showing how to utilize code pages better with JavaScript on their blog, which I always forget to check. https://community.quickbase.com/blogs/graham-leto2/2021/03/02/code-page-samples?CommunityKey=d860b0f8-6a48-487b-b346-44c47a19a804

Many of the things in here are just a collection of what the community has done in the past with code pages. I didn't see anything actually new here but there might be some hidden gem. It will definitely help if you are not familiar with using code pages.

• 9.  RE: Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Posted 03-10-2021 04:55
    Thank you Austin. I will check it out

Aswin Babu