Getting Started

View Only
  • 1.  URL Language

Posted 04-22-2020 09:15
    I am trying to find a good tutorial that will help me to create a button to return to the related record in a parent table.

I see some discussions in the Community but I don't know the language.

Is there a tutorial on the URL formula language?  In the short term, I want the button, but in the long term, I want to learn this so I know what's going on.

Thanks!
    Mike

------------------------------
    Mike michael.rorstad@ameebay.com

• 2.  RE: URL Language

Posted 04-22-2020 09:24
    Your formula would be

URLRoot() & "db/"  & [_DBID_PARENT_TABLE_ALIAS] & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Related Parent Field Name]

Your parent-table-alias is going to be the alias-name of the table of the parent-record; which you can find by clicking on the Settings < Advanced Settings within the parent-table.  At the very bottom you will see the ALIAS name - copy the whole thing including _DBID_ for proper use.

Whatever the [Related Reference Field Name] is in your parent < child relationship is the one that you will encode at the end of your formula which references the RID (record ID)

There are various links in the Community and in the Quick Base Help.
    Here's one good start-link: https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/resources.html
    API Guide: https://help.quickbase.com/api-guide/intro.html

You will learn a lot finding formulas in the Forum here too; which will help you with general construct.

Laura Thacker (IDS)
    laura@intelligentdbs.com
    (626) 771 0454

• 3.  RE: URL Language

Posted 04-22-2020 10:24
    Thanks Laura!  I'm almost there but had a snag.  My Parent table alias is _DBID_JOBS and I used [JobNumber] as my reference field.

the formula is URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_JOBS] & "?a=dr&rid=" & [JobNumber]

When I click the link, I get an error message, "Job Not Found, It has probably been deleted.  If you followed a link to get here, you may want to inform the author of that link that this job no longer exists."

I tried a number of the other fields in the reference field part of the string but kept getting the same error message.

Mike michael.rorstad@ameebay.com

• 4.  RE: URL Language

Posted 04-22-2020 11:08
    Then you need to reference the Key instead of the [Record ID#]

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_JOBS] & "?a=dr&key=" & [Job Number]

Laura Thacker (IDS)
    laura@intelligentdbs.com
    (626) 771 0454