Getting Started

View Only
  • 1.  Barcode Printing

Posted 04-14-2021 16:40
    I am setting up Barcodes for some inventory tracking in our company, and am wondering if we need to buy a barcode printer that is compatible with a certain software? Is it as simple as using a Bluetooth connection to print the barcodes from a QuickBase table? Does anyone have suggestions on what has worked for them in the past?

------------------------------
    Darian Vigil

• 2.  RE: Barcode Printing

Posted 04-16-2021 11:03
    Darian,

Barcodes simply hold a string of numbers (QR codes have extra abilities, to hold other information like say, a URL).

When you scan a bar code, all you are really doing is loading that string of numbers in a nice, simple and quick way. So, alternatively, instead of scanning the bar code you could, in theory, just hand type the number. Of course, the whole purpose of the scan is so that you save time and don't make mistakes.

With that in mind, depending on your use case, it's likely you can get barcodes in whatever method works best. If you simply need a stack of randomized bar codes that are stickers, you can order those online or print yourself.

If you have pre-entered numbers for each of your inventory items, you can decide - do I want my barcode to simply provide a number? Do I want it to be a website?

I use QR codes, but ironically the ability for QuickBase to read barcodes was actually a red herring for me, as I don't use that feature. My QR codes are loaded with URLs that link to QB records. My field team uses their phone camera to scan the QR Code and get to the particular record.

Not sure if this info helps, but maybe it sets you in the right direction.

Mike Tamoush

• 3.  RE: Barcode Printing

Posted 04-16-2021 11:09
    Yes that is the plan for our team as well, we will be linking all QR codes to an inventory item so when they scan the QR code using their phone, it will pull up that item for them and they can make inventory adjustments as needed. 

I think we got that part good to go, and are ready to order the label printer. However, I am wondering if we need to order one that supports a specific software. It looks like they need to be CSV compatible but has your team run into any other issues with the system you are using?

Darian Vigil

• 4.  RE: Barcode Printing

Posted 04-16-2021 14:56
    The inventory we track are actually large items outdoors, so we have our QR codes printed by a company that offers the printing on weather proof stickers, and metal tags, etc. So unfortunately I do not have any experience or advice on printing yourself.

However, regarding the URL itself, there are two ways to go about it, that you should consider.

1. URL references the record ID. This is nice and simple, but comes with some drawbacks. Your 'ID'  or 'Barcode Number' for each inventory item will essentially be the Record ID. For us, this was not good because when you scan the URL, anyone can put any random record ID in the URL to see other inventory items. I did not want people to be able to 'guess' other URLs. Also, using a record ID, if anything happens to that record (maybe you accidentely delete it), you have to change out any stickers in reference to the item (when you recreate it, it will have a new record id).  For us, another reason Record ID didn't work is our tags can fail over time in the elements and we have to put a new one on. That requires us ordering the same tag from the company (if you are printing your own, you avoid this).

2. Alternatively you can make a key field. That is what I did - I have a random 6 digit alphanumeric code. My URL uses the key field instead. Solves all the problems above, but does have one very large drawback. Our inventory items have children (photos, inspection reports, etc). When I change out a QR tag to a new number, I go into my database and we can type in the new Alpha Numeric number there. Seems great, except that immediately orphans the children. I combat this with automations, but indeed it is a chunk of extra work.

Mike Tamoush

• 5.  RE: Barcode Printing

Posted 05-26-2021 10:40
    Hi Mike, I am trying to start an inventory also with large equipment and fixed GPS items on the equipment. As you said the elements can take affect and stickers can be damaged or lost. My work around was to be able to stick any random alpha-numeric numbered barcode on the GPS or tool item when its lost and just reassign that tool with the new number. At that point everyone said there would be orphans....How did you deal with orphans using an API to reassign them? Is it as easy as a search command for the old tag number to be replaced by the new tag number application wide?

Thanks for your input. I have been working with this a while and I am ready to implement it. Hoping to be able to use random numbers to eliminate the need for printing in the field.

Thanks

Michael Hall

• 6.  RE: Barcode Printing

Posted 05-27-2021 08:17
    Good morning,
    Why not just re-print the same code for the same piece of equipment?

I don't think that you should necessarily use the Record ID for the key field. However, you shouldn't think that your data is secure because you use a random number. Depending on their role and the permissions, people can still access all of the particular records using the Record ID. You're much better off using Role Permissions to ensure the Data Security.

Thank you,
    John

John Crosland
    Software Developer
    Inglett & Stubbs
    Mableton GA

• 7.  RE: Barcode Printing

Posted 05-27-2021 11:56
    Thanks for the reply John, I was actually attempting to make labeling and relabeling in the field an easier process by being able to use any number tag and then simply applying the number to the unit in a specific identifying field that is related to the serial number. In the event the tag needed replacing I wanted to be able to apply the next numbered tag and change the records field to the new number. I realized this would cause orphan records which I would need to deal with in some way.

Security was not an issue. Simplicity for field personnel not adept to using QB or printing new identical tags was more the issue.

Michael Hall

• 8.  RE: Barcode Printing

Posted 04-16-2021 13:18
    Just another tip for scanning bar codes on a Phone.  I had a client situation and ended up researching for smartphone apps which did bar code scanning.  The native camera will work but its not very good.

The app I settled on was Kasperski QR Scanner.  It has a Green icon with a QR code and a red bar across the code.  I only mention that because when you go looking for apps in the ap store that scan QR codes there are many many of them.  Anyways, that app is totally amazing if you want to scan a QR code which picks up a URL to edit or display a Quickbase record. The app just grabs that QR code in a split second. Quite amazing.  I think it was Free.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com