Getting Started

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

• 1.  Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 04-27-2021 11:03
    Hi there, 

I am wondering is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records windows with one button/click? Thank you. 

I am asking this because a colleague needs to update some fields of multiple records, could be dozens or hundreds. Those records could be randomly picked, hard to cover all of them by creating a report by single or multiple field properties.

1. He wants a search box can paste all the record names one time and get a list of these records. 

2. Even there was a report for him and he knew how to use Grid Edit, he still wants to open all records windows at one click.  

Is it something possible? without advanced API and developer function. 

Ning

------------------------------
    Ning W

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 04-27-2021 11:34
    Are you trying to search against a single field in a single table?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 04-27-2021 11:43
    Yes. Trying to find, i.e. 20 projects by searching in "project name" field in Project Table.

Ning W

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 04-29-2021 13:09
    How to do this is to create a single record in a single table called search. In that single record which will be record ID number one you will have a big text box where the user can enter or paste in a bunch of search terms.  

Then make a relationship between that search record and all of your details record and the reference field for the relationship on the detail side will be a field called  

[Link to Serach (=1)]

Be a formula field with a formula of 

Look up the search values down into your detail records. Make a formula field down there called [valid for Search?] which will calculate to true if the search values contain the value in the field [Project name]

IF(Contains([Search Terms lookup], [Project Name]), true)

A report link on that search terms record to display all of the detail records but for the embedded report that is used on the record filter it where 

[Valid for Search?] is checked.

The effect of the set up is the user will edit the search record paste in the values and save and the results will display right on that record.  

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 04-30-2021 15:22
    Hi Mark, Thank you so much! 

I feel awkward to say I was stuck in the first step. What is the type of search box in Search table? I am using lookup text, but always get "The Relationship of which this field is a part no longer exists. You may want to delete this field".

How can I have a bog text box for input search terms?

Thank you. ​

Ning W

• 6.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 04-30-2021 15:33
    No problem.  Just create a field which is type multi line text.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 05-08-2021 15:16
    Hi Mark, 

Thank you so much! I finally figure it out today! This is exactly what I need. It will help a lot in our daily usage by saving many clicks. Thanks! 

A follow up question is, if I check and choose multiple records, is there a native way to open multiple record windows in Quickbase? Like we can open multiple PDF file windows at one click.

Ning W

• 8.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 05-08-2021 18:19
    . I'm glad to hear you got it working.
    There is not really a one click method to open up all the matching files but you can right click on all of them one by one and they will open up a new windows.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 05-10-2021 09:00
    Got it. Thank you so much!

Ning W

• 10.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 06-14-2021 15:44

HI Ning

I am in same situation as you. I don't have IT background. 

Are you able to break it down in steps for me.
    I also want to search multiple records under one Common heading at same time.
    I would really appreciate your help.

Amandeep Dhillon

• 11.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 06-14-2021 16:27
    Amandeep,

it's not clear what your question is. Did you try following my instructions?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 12.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 06-14-2021 16:36
    HI Mark

Thanks for your response.
    My situation is that i have 30 K orders and each order is identified by Term "DPO". Then further each DPO has 60 different fields like address, customer information etc.
    This information is pulled directly from salesforce as i have connected the table with salesforce account.

Now my challenge is that i have to edit multiple DPO's at same time for instance i need to mark there status as scheduled, but when i go into report i see all 30 k DPO's and they are staggered . So i have to manually search each DPO and change its status to Scheduled / completed . I am looking for a way to serach all 20- 30 or whatever no, to edit them in grid view at sametime by changing 1st DPO manually and then selecting all other s and using Ctrl+D.

I hope the description paints a better picture.

Amandeep Dhillon

• 13.  RE: Is there a way to search multiple records and open multiple records with one button/click?

Posted 06-14-2021 17:00
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 06-14-2021 17:00

So are you looking to type or paste in say 20 DPO numbers at one time. 

If so please follow my instructions and let me know where you got stuck. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com