Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

• 1.  Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 06-12-2019 16:32
    Got nowhere with support, so I'm putting this out to the community. Does anyone else have issues with Users that have been removed from an App showing back up in the App at random intervals?

This has been happening repeatedly for the last few months, and it's really getting annoying. I have a lot of List User fields, and utilize the Default User List, because I don't want to have to edit each of those fields every time someone comes or goes. It's not a matter of access, because when they leave they are put on the Denied list, but it does mean that when things are being assigned, those old users expand the selection list from 50 people to 200.

I know it will happen whenever I have to edit old records, and so if the removed user is on the record they will reappear in the App, but it also happens completely at random, and whenever there is a big Quick Base release. I have been unable to track down a specific cause for the completely random occurrences, though. I do know that instead of getting better, it's getting worse. I've already had to remove users twice this week alone.

• 2.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 06-12-2019 16:56
    Do you possibly have automations or actions running? Some kind of webhook that may be editing or changing records?

• 3.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 06-12-2019 17:01
    They are only setup to trigger on records that have changed, so that wouldn't be happening every day. In reality, I'm the only one updating any old records that may have these old users on them, and that doesn't happen very often (an annual review, and if there is a major client change).

• 4.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 06-26-2019 17:15
    I've gone through all of my automations, and checked for any records attached to the users, and there are no changes. The users are still showing up every day.

• 5.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 23 days ago
    Did you ever get this resolved? I am experiencing the same issue (on a smaller scale).

------------------------------
    Chris Newsome

• 6.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 23 days ago
    Have you tried going to the user list and deselecting "show in user pickers"? That might be a way to do it. Denying people from the app does not remove them from the user list.

• 7.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 23 days ago
    Another thing you might want to do is look for any recently edited records where that user happens to be in a user field. That can cause a user to reappear in an app if someone was editing an existing record a user was referenced in, since they would still be in that records user field and that can cause QB to assess their status as a user. For example if they try to save and hit a form rule that stops them etc. You can usually do a quick check by building a report sorting recently edited records and that user being in the user fields.  I hope that suggestion is helpful.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 8.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 23 days ago
    So if you have an older record where a denied user is listed in say a "Closed By" or "Assigned To" field that can bring the user back into the apps user list if the record gets edited? I just want to make sure I understand that correctly.

• 9.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 22 days ago
    As an update, deselecting "show user in pickers" does not work for this issue.

Chris Newsome

• 10.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 22 days ago
    Hi Austin,

That is the behavior I have seen if those records are being interacted with and that user field is being interacted with. The app reaches out to check in on that user and then that user reappears in the user list, only with no role and not in the user picker by default. If they are getting put back in with a role or reappearing in other user fields that should not be the case, that would be a different issue.

Evan Martinez
    Quick Base

• 11.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 19 days ago
    What I'm experiencing is the old users are reappearing in all pickers where a user can be selected. I have deselected "show in user pickers" but that seems to have no effect.

Chris Newsome

• 12.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 19 days ago
    Edited by Evan Martinez 19 days ago

Hi Chris,

Ahh ok, that is a different behavior than the one I am thinking of where a user reappears just in the user list for the app and not in the individual user fields. Are all those user fields set to default user list or are any of them custom user lists?

• 13.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 19 days ago
    I have checked that and nothing is set to default users. I did have a couple of fields where the users were allowed to create entries, so I turned that off.

Chris Newsome

• 14.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 19 days ago
    Hi Chris,

So all the fields are set to a custom user list instead of the default and the user that is reappearing is not listed in that user list when you pull up the field properties? Then the user seems to reappear in that custom user list? Do they only show up as an option or are they also showing up in the list under the field properties after that?

Evan Martinez
    Quick Base

• 15.  RE: Users Reappearing in the App After they have been Removed

Posted 19 days ago
    I'll test this and report what I find. I know they are showing up in user pickers and in the user list when this happens, but I haven't checked the option. 

These user fields are all pulling from users, not a custom list though.

Chris Newsome