Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Dynamic Audit Check List

Posted 03-28-2018 15:23
    I would like to create a dynamic audit check list. The conditions are as follows.

1. All audit questions are in Yes, No & N/A format
    2. All product line audits share the same group of general audit questions
    3. Audits are performed on various product lines and there are specific audit questions that only apply to specific product lines.
    4. Product line specific questions change over time; some are removed and some are added depending on verified corrective actions and new non-compliance identified
    5. Record of previous product line specific audit questions should be retained even after they are removed from the check list
    Additional features related to the check list include scheduling of product line audits such that each product line is audited at least once each week by an employee selected at random such that each employee only has one audit per week.

When 'No' is selected for a question, a reason category will be selected from a dropdown list and an action item must be entered and assigned to a Champion.

I have a functioning example of the dynamic audit check list, but I used many HTML text form elements and dynamic form rules and ended up running out of rules and so would have to create many forms to cover all of our product lines. I would prefer to do this with one form and be able to hand it off to a Champion that can easily update and the product line specific questions.

• 2.  RE: Dynamic Audit Check List

Posted 03-28-2018 15:45
    It sounds like you attempted to do this all in one table and use form rules to show and hide questions.  That, as you discovered is a losing game and will require a Quick Base Admin type person to make changes.

The low tech solution here is to have a relationship where 1 Audit has many questions.  You would set up a series of Standard Template Audits which would hold the correct child records (the audit questions) fort each type of Audit.

They use the native feature accessible in the Application Management area to create a button to import a set of children into your current audit.  You will end up making 1 button per different type of audit. 

Then on the Audit header record you will have a drop down for Audit Type and then just have form rules to show the correct import button.
    here is some help info

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/copy_master_detail.html

• 3.  RE: Dynamic Audit Check List

Posted 03-28-2018 16:27
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I am reading through help info now.

If I am understanding you correctly I will need two tables. One for Audits and one for questions. I am not sure what you mean by "set up a series of Standard Template Audits which would hold the correct child records (the audit questions) fort each type of Audit."

Would the audits table have one field with a multiple choice field for different audits and then the questions field have text fields and multiple choice fields for the question text and compliance selection respectively?

I get the concept, but am struggling to understand the architecture.

• 4.  RE: Dynamic Audit Check List

Posted 03-28-2018 16:28
    Do you know of any apps on the exchange that are set up like this?It would be so much easier to look at an example.

• 5.  RE: Dynamic Audit Check List

Posted 03-28-2018 16:38
    Adam,
    Can you contact me via the information in my website QuickBaseCoach.com  and  will explain by phone at no charge.

• 6.  RE: Dynamic Audit Check List

Posted 03-28-2018 17:18
    I found an example in the App Exchange and see how to use this now, but two problems I have with this are:
    1. The record must first be saved so that the record ID can be used for the copy/import
    2. The list of questions imported are in table format so that the multiple choice option cannot be displayed as radio buttons
    I am trying to keep the user interface super simple so that our auditors don't get discouraged at the process.

• 7.  RE: Dynamic Audit Check List

Posted 03-28-2018 17:50
    yes the user will create the Audit record and save.  Then they will see a button to create the children and you can hide the button once the children are created.

The users can either edit the child record questions one by one or in Grid edit.  You set the embedded report to be "editable" on the form and it turns into a spreadsheet look and feel for quick update using copy paste and fill down.

• 8.  RE: Dynamic Audit Check List

Posted 03-28-2018 17:52
    An alternative to the traditional copy master/detail that would solve for #1 would be to use a webhook and template field for creating the child records. It may be a bit laborious to set up depending on the audit question volume/detail. See example #2 in this blog post: https://www.quickbase.com/quickbase-blog/how-to-build-quick-base-webhooks

For #2, could you create three checkbox fields to replace your single multiple choice. You may need some validation on the backend that the users only select a single response. 

Contact me via CloudBase Services and we can work with you.
    http://www.cloudbaseservices.com/

• 9.  RE: Dynamic Audit Check List

Posted 03-28-2018 18:26
    Thank you both for your feedback, both very valid solutions to the problem. I will have to let this one marinate while I ruminate and postulate.

Right now we have many, many audits created as spreadsheets and the user first finds the audit they are assigned, then prints off the audit, then fills it in by hand before submitting. I want to eliminate the spreadsheets and printing while still providing the simple 'yes', 'yes', ''no'... workflow for the user.