Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Track Changes with Formula Field?

Posted 05-01-2017 23:39
    I have a formula field (let's call it "Status") that looks at several fields and if a certain combination of conditions exist, the result is "High", if another set of conditions exist the result is "Medium" and everything else is "Low." I would like to be able to track when that status changes from one state to another, because when something changes to "High," people need to know because they have certain things they need to do with these records within 30 days. 

I created a new text field called "Status Change Log" and set it to log the edits of changes to the "Status" field using a dynamic form rule. I was pretty excited about all this, but when I made some changes to the underlying conditions, nothing was being recording in the "Status Change Log."

If I'm understanding correctly from QB support, it looks like changes in my formula "Status" field aren't detected as changes by the dynamic form rules.

Anybody have any idea for a way around this? It's not that I just want to know when the conditions for "High" are present, because they will be present for some records already. I'm interested in knowing what records are now "High" that weren't before.

• 2.  RE: Track Changes with Formula Field?

Posted 05-01-2017 23:55
    Are any of these conditions time or duration related? Meaning, can it be Medium today and then turn High tomorrow because of a date or duration stipulation? If they are, you will probably require some sort of script. However, If the conditions become present while a user edits a record, then it should be able to be captured via form rule. 

• 3.  RE: Track Changes with Formula Field?

Posted 05-02-2017 00:24
    Most of the conditions become present while a user edits a record, but some are based on time-related elements, like whether a certain date is within the last 365 days. So some sort of script?

• 4.  RE: Track Changes with Formula Field?

Posted 05-02-2017 11:54
    The usual way to do this is simple. Just make a report which captures the records you want, for example, tasks due within 30 days. Then have your users subscribe to receive that report, weekly, say 5 days a week. No need for anything fancy here with scripts.

Typically, you also have a report with a filter such as where the task owner is the current user, and call that report

My Tasks due within 30 days.

Then set up that Subsctiption to go to all users in certain Roles. Then each user will receive their own tasks.

• 5.  RE: Track Changes with Formula Field?

Posted 05-02-2017 13:30
    Another option, if you need to capture edits done via import/grid edit/api, is to setup a QB Action or Webhook that monitors for the fields that make up the formula field and write the status to a log table, for example.