Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Backup Tables

Posted 11-03-2017 15:21
    How can I back p quickbase tables to either another table or csv file nightly?

Currently I have the report being sent to me nightly, but it does not do me any good because I still have to login to access the whole report and then the data becomes current.

• 2.  RE: Backup Tables

Posted 11-03-2017 19:14
    ">https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1668958/RackMultipart20171103-14093-c41o7g-MCF_Tech_LogoforQBComm_inline.jpg?1509736865">

We have a solution at MCF for automatically creating backups (among other data capabilities) but I'll save that for last and layout a purely native option.

There are a couple ways to do this, but the one way to do this without writing custom code would be to create a sync table in your main app to "clone" all the records in your main table, and schedule that connected table to "sync" daily. You could then change the report subscription you have now to the new table.

Keep in mind, (depending on how you set this sync up with regards to the "Key" fields in each table) there are to routes you can take.

A. You set the same key field on the clone table as the original, which will effectively buy you 24 hours to review the data before it's overwritten on the next Sync,

B. You choose an alternative keyfield than the one in the main table which will keep a "copy" of your main tables records as they were when they were cloned, but you're clone table will grow pretty rapidly, so you'd want to periodlically delete the older records by "date created"

Both of these have pro's and cons, but here's what we offer that would behave the way you want.
    https://www.mcftech.com/technology/add-ons-extensions/backup/

Hope this helps!

• 3.  RE: Backup Tables

Posted 11-04-2017 20:20
    Another option that is going to be available on the Nov 12 Update, is you can have the subscription send the data as a PDF or a csv file attachment, as apposed to the current html option.

So if you are looking for a simple back up, the file attachment should be a good option.

http://www.quickbase.com/quickbase-blog/november-2017-release-notes

• 4.  RE: Backup Tables

Posted 11-04-2017 20:46
    Sounds like the update will address the issue. Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Backup Tables

Posted 11-06-2017 13:47
    Good catch Matthew! Missed that release note somehow. 

• 6.  RE: Backup Tables

Posted 11-06-2017 13:54
    The Sync as a backup is an interesting idea.  I wonder if you can set up a Sync table to feed off a Sync table.  If you can, then you could contrive the timing of the Syncs at once per day to have say 7 backups and each would be a day delayed from the previous one.  ie they would cascade 

for example
    11:00 pm copy from Sync Day 6 to Sync Day 7
    12:00 pm copy from Sync Day 5 to Sync Day 6
     1:00 am copy from Sync Day 4 to Sync Day 5 
     2:00 am copy from Sync Day 3 to Sync Day 4
     3:00 am copy from Sync Day 2 to Sync Day 3
     4:00 am copy from Sync Day 1 to Sync Day 2
     5:00 am copy from Sync Day 0 (live app) to Sync Day 1