Getting Started

View Only
  • 1.  CHECHBOX VS BUTTON

Posted 12-15-2020 14:57
    I a previous email, I asked for support for using the checkbox feature for triggering email notifications.  I wanted the checkbox to automatically uncheck itself after the email was issued.  I was informed that the Automation feature could accomplish that feature.  I had unsuccessfully tried to program the Automation feature to do what I wanted it to do.

It was then suggested to me to try a button field (vs a checkbox) to auto issue an email notification.  Is there such a feature in QB as a trigger button?  If so, please give me specific instructions on how to trigger the auto emails, either via the button or checkbox.

I thank you in advance.

Bruce

------------------------------
    Bruce Kasen

• 2.  RE: CHECHBOX VS BUTTON

Posted 12-15-2020 15:30
    Edited by Blake Harrison 12-16-2020 14:37
    Really, it's just a button that is created by a formula - rich text field. The formula is built so that it uses the API to edit the record twice in succession. First, it selects the checkbox and then it goes back to un-select it. The formula that I use for this is:

var text chk = "&_FID_34=";
    var text tk = "token";

"<a class='Vibrant Alert' & href=" & 

URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=API_EditRecord&apptoken=" & $tk & "&rid=" & [Record ID#] &
        $chk & "1" &
        "&rdr=" &

URLEncode(URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=API_EditRecord&apptoken=" & $tk & "&rid=" & [Record ID#] &
                $chk & "0" &
                "&rdr=" &
                    URLEncode(URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Record ID#]))

& ">My Button Name</a>"​

With this formula, you will need to replace the "34" in the first line with the FID of your checkbox. Then, you will need to insert your Application Token in the "token" in the 2nd line. Go all the way to the bottom and just update the name of your button where I have "My Button Name" and you'll be good to go.

Just place it on the form where you want to see it and set it to show only in View (not Edit or Add). Once you click it, it will check and immediately un-check your checkbox.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 3.  RE: CHECHBOX VS BUTTON

Posted 12-23-2020 15:03

Blake, I did what you asked, but I keep getting the following error message ...

API_EditRecord 24 Invalid Application Token The Application Token b5a8v6_nnrt_7m52d4chi68kxb3gag4fndiyg7 has not been assigned to this Application. To read about assigning an Application Token to your application go to https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/app_tokens.html.

Here is the entire formula from the button field.

var text chk = "&_FID_52="; var text tk = "b5a8v6_nnrt_7m52d4chi68kxb3gag4fndiyg7"; "<a class='Tall Vibrant Alert' & href=" & URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=API_EditRecord&apptoken=" & $tk & "&rid=" & [Action Items] & $chk & "1" & "&rdr=" & URLEncode(URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=API_EditRecord&apptoken=" & $tk & "&rid=" & [Send Auto Notification] & $chk & "0" & "&rdr=" & URLEncode(URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Send Auto Notification])) & ">Auto Email</a>"

I can't figure out what I'm missing.  Is it possible for you (or someone) to proxy into my app and we'll go through it together?

Bruce Kasen
    ShoreMet LLC
    303-885-2881
    bkasen@shoremet.com

signature_1710905262

• 4.  RE: CHECHBOX VS BUTTON

Posted 12-24-2020 10:01

Bruce -

That token that you're using looks like it's probably a User token rather than an App token. Double check that by going to this link:

https://[mydomain].quickbase.com/db/[myappid]?a=GetAppDevKey

The easy way to get there would just be to select the HOME button on your app and then add  ?a=GetAppDevKey  to the end of the URL.

This will show you a list of any App Tokens that you have assigned to your app.

If you do need some 1-1 assistance, I'm happy to help out. Just reach out to me directly and we can discuss options.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/