Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Blank Maximum Record ID

Posted 03-25-2019 21:14
    Hi, I'm trying to create a summary field of the maximum record ID for a table, but the result is a blank field

I have a table called "Offices" that I would like to track the maximum record ID# for the table.

I've built a table-to-table relationship where "Records" is the parent and "Offices" is the child.  I add a summary field to the Parent (Records table) for the maximum Record ID# for Offices.

When I add a new record to the Records table, I see the maximum Record ID# field, but it's blank.

Can anyone help point out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Blank Maximum Record ID

Posted 03-25-2019 21:17
    Have you actually related any Offices to a parent in your Records table? If you have the relationship set up - you are halfway there. But it sounds like you still need to assign your Office records to the appropriate parent 'Record'. It would make sense that for a new Record that the summary field is blank - because you still need to assign which 'Offices' belong to it.

Chayce Duncan | Technical Lead
    (720) 739-1406 | chayceduncan@quandarycg.com
    Quandary Knowledge Base

• 3.  RE: Blank Maximum Record ID

Posted 03-25-2019 21:18
    Do you in fact have children records for that parent?  ie when you are sitting on a records table is there an embedded report of its children?

Also on the summary field setup, do you have any filters set, or is it just a maximum of the field Record ID#

• 4.  RE: Blank Maximum Record ID

Posted 03-25-2019 21:38
    Thanks for the help!

I added an "office" to the Records table and the Maximum record ID populated, but this is tied to a single Office Record.  The Maximum Record ID field does not update when I add new records to the Office table.

I'm trying to keep track of the maximum record ID for the Offices table so I can automate the deletion of older records in the table.  I would use creation date, but I sometime generate multiple new records in a day and I'm trying to clear out old records as new ones are created. 

Am I approaching this currently or is there a better way?

• 5.  RE: Blank Maximum Record ID

Posted 03-25-2019 21:45
    If you feel you need a global maximum then you will need to set up a dummy table called Max Offices Record ID#.  Create One record.  It will be Record ID# of 1.  Then create a formula field on the Records Table called Link to Global Maximum as a formula numeric field with a formula of 1.  Then base the relationship on that field as the reference field and do your summary field on that relationship.