Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Relationships & Entry Request for Assistance

Posted 01-18-2022 18:05
    I'm struggling to accomplish something that I expected to be somewhat simple, but I can't seem to figure out on my own.

I have a table of "Deals" that I am trying to associate with another table of "Spaces" (think parking spaces in a parking lot).

Essentially I want the form on the deals form to allow me to add multiple unassigned spaces to a given deal. Almost like assigned seating on an airplane.

When I create a one to many relationship, it adds an 'Add Space' button and after changing the linked report to display the records of associated spaces I can add 'new spaces' but I can't figure out how to, instead of showing me blank data entry form, instead show me a list of Spaces to choose from.

I feel like I've been able to do this fairly simply in the past but just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Anyone have any ideas or be able to give me some guidance?

Thanks,
    PhilD

------------------------------
    Phil Dupont

• 2.  RE: Relationships & Entry Request for Assistance

Posted 01-18-2022 19:50
    If you truly have a correct relationship and One Parking Spot can only be attached to a single deal at any one time, then you just need to think backwards.

Run a report of unassigned parking spots and edit or grid edit to attach them to a deal.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Relationships & Entry Request for Assistance

Posted 01-18-2022 19:58
    I guess my disconnect is how to exactly implement that on the deals form....

Create some kind of field or drop-down that uses said report as it's source?

Phil Dupont

• 4.  RE: Relationships & Entry Request for Assistance

Posted 01-18-2022 20:13
    If you want to throw the user into grid edit and return the user to Deal On save, you can try this as a formula URL button on the deal.

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_table-Name_of parking_spots] & "?a=q&qid=99" & "&dlta=mog&navBack=true";

// change the 99 to the report ID of a regular table report for unassigned spaces.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Relationships & Entry Request for Assistance

Posted 01-21-2022 12:09
    Hrm, this didn't quite work... probably something I'm not doing right. It does kick me over to a grid report... but there isn't a way to select the records except by editing the individual spaces one at a time.

Is it possible to either:
    • Click the 'add spaces' button, kick over to a report with a list of unassigned spaces... select a space from the list, save and return to the deal... or
    • Click the 'add spaces' button, kick over to the report, check 1 to 4 spaces, save and return to the deal.

Phil Dupont

• 6.  RE: Relationships & Entry Request for Assistance

Posted 01-21-2022 13:05
    The method I suggested assumed that you would use Grid Edit to select the deal but I do acknowledge that this requires the user to remember what deal they launched off of.

Both of the options you requested are possible to do but they are a little too complicated to explain how to do on this forum. I would need to work with you one on one to get those working. Contact me directly by email in my signature line if you want to take this discussion outside the community forum.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com