Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Straight CSV Import - field names dont match

Posted 12-04-2018 05:22
    When using the Import from a CSV file, periodically the field name is different - no space, added space, etc.  When that happens, Quickbase automatically selects a seemingly arbitrary field to chose to load the column. 

This seems like a defect, not a feature.  if a column name does not exactly match up, the import function should either deselect that column or default it to an 'Undefined' column. 

Either way it should NOT select a column.  Late at night, it is easy to not notice something like that, the data looks fine since everything lines up.  There should be a color warning and an indicator that the column does not match, or the ability to create a new column (I saw something abut this in other posts...)

• 2.  RE: Straight CSV Import - field names dont match

Posted 12-22-2021 12:03
    Hi, this is happening to me too. We just select the right name, but this concerns me if we move to a more automated approach. Any solutions to this?

------------------------------
    Suzanne Orgera

• 3.  RE: Straight CSV Import - field names dont match

Posted 12-22-2021 12:10
    If you are doing a manual CSV upload then the field names need to exactly match your CSV column headings in order for QuickBase to automatically match everything up. If you get even one header incorrect then I can set up a domino effect where everything pretty much gets randomized.  

If you have a situation where you cannot control the field headings because they are coming from an automated system then I suggest setting up a connected Sync table. Once you do that you would drop a standard CSV file with any column headings into a place where the connected Sync table can see it so that means an SFTP file path or one of the three cloud services, ... Dropbox, box or Google Drive.

Then then once the data has been brought into your app you could create a URL formula button to copy from the connected Sync table into your real table.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com