Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

• 1.  formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-14-2018 20:17
    See pic below. I created three fields that will calculate the final total into the field "contract monthly term total".  This field is a currency-formula type. it doesn't show the total until after i click save.  As you see, there isn't a total even though i put in numbers for the other fields.  The amount sold field are currency type and the contract term is numeric. The formula is [Contract Term]*[Contract Monthly Amount Sold]+[Contract One-Time Amount Sold]. Is there a way to make it show the total before saving the ticket?  Thank you.

• 2.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-14-2018 22:35
    Try hitting Tab on the keyboard after you enter all values, does it calculate for you then?

• 3.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-15-2018 23:53
    No. it didn't work.  i tried hitting tab and clicking into another field and it still didn't calculate it.

• 4.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-16-2018 00:04
    How did you create your field?  Mine is a currency - formula.  The field you did looks like it is a text field. 

• 5.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-17-2018 20:20
    It's a numeric - formula, you can change the field settings to display it as a Simple Number or Currency

• 6.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-19-2018 18:40
    ok. this is working. i changed it to numeric formula and then change the field setting to currency and the total is calculating immediately.

• 7.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-14-2018 22:43
    You have to tab out of the field for it to recalculate. Same as Excel that way.

• 8.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-15-2018 23:45
    That didn't work.  I tried to tab and click into another field in this table and it still didn't calculate

• 9.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-16-2018 20:35
    If you like you can contact me via the info in my website QuickBaseCoach.com and I will have a look at no cost as I am curious myself why such a simple formula does not calculate on the form. 

Or else put in a support ticket.

• 10.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-19-2018 18:41
    thanks for your help.  i created a new field and made it numeric formula then changed the field setting to currency and now it is calculating immediately._

• 11.  RE: formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

Posted 12-19-2018 19:09
    weird, but sometimes we just find a solution and move on.