Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Can I create a chart from a summary table?

Posted 08-07-2017 14:34
    Is it possible to create a pie chart with totals of the whole.
    I know it is possible to create a summary of a table to create totals. How can I use those totals to create a Pie Chart?

• 2.  RE: Can I create a chart from a summary table?

Posted 08-07-2017 14:42
    You should be able to just create summary fields or formula fields to get your totals in a field. Then create a chart and use those values.

• 3.  RE: Can I create a chart from a summary table?

Posted 08-07-2017 16:34
    But that would mean all records have the formula field for totals. That would be a inefficient. Is there a way I could create a new table with a formula fields that contains the sum of a column from another table? 

Thank you ,
    Paul

• 4.  RE: Can I create a chart from a summary table?

Posted 08-07-2017 16:43
    You don't have to display the formula field on the form of a record or a report besides the chart report. And when creating the summary fields you can filter the totals based on a criteria.

You should only need a new table if you want to store values in records. If you already have data and just need to perform some math then I would think you could achieve what you want with reports or formula fields.

However if you want to capture the totals of some records at a specific point in time and its possible those values could change, you could store that timestamp plus those values in this new table then compare the values from the timestamp record and the current totals of the same range. Does that make sense? if so is that what you're looking for?

Could you provide some more detail on the end result you'd like to see? Any info you can share about the values or totals you need to display could be helpful finding a solution for you. Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Can I create a chart from a summary table?

Posted 08-07-2017 16:58
    Hey Chuck thanks for all your help thus far. 

I have a table where each row represents a school and a count of disabilities in that school. 
       id   school                          deaf         blind   ..etc  1      New York University            3             4               ... 2      Georgia State University       5             2               ... 

Then I wanted to aggregate the number for each column; I want to create a pie chart with values Sum(deaf), Sum(blind), .....

So I can see as a how disabilities _compare to the whole. School doesn't matter, just want to add up disability groups/ 

• 6.  RE: Can I create a chart from a summary table?

Posted 08-07-2017 17:40

Is this what you're looking for? Basically what I did was created another table for disabilities and created a relationship where schools are the parent table.

Then you create a dropdown field in the child table called type of disability and enter all the options there. Make sure to check the options in the field settings to prevent duplicates.

Then go to the child table and create a pie chart and use these settings
    ">https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1631836/RackMultipart20170807-91347-15o9wbo-image_inline.png?1502127585">

Feel to reach out directly if you get stuck along the way. Chuck@Chuck.Support
    Good luck and hope this helps! Also I understand you may have a lot of records and this changes the structure. It would not be difficult to export those values and import them back in after the new table was created.

• 7.  RE: Can I create a chart from a summary table?

Posted 08-07-2017 19:07
    Thanks so much for the detailed response Chuck, 

I was wanted it so that the chart would update automatically, but I think this is the best way to create a summary Chart. 

I think what I want has to be hand coded with javascript HighChart and Quickbase's API. 

• 8.  RE: Can I create a chart from a summary table?

Posted 08-07-2017 19:11
    Sure thing! If you need help with custom API stuff let me know, that's my specialty! Chuck@Chuck.support

happy to demo some examples.

• 9.  RE: Can I create a chart from a summary table?

Posted 08-17-2017 08:43
    Hi Guys, I have a similar situation, but a bit different, and I could use a help from your side.

In my case I have one table where I use checkboxes to select services that are needed to be implemented. and by using summary I am able to sum up all services per project that are used, and create a table (summary) with totals.

I would also like to create a pie chart showing which services are most popular, but somehow I am having issues in creating a field or summary field where I could count them all. 

Each service presents a separate checkbox field, thus I am confused on how to do this.

Could you please advise on what my best option would be?

KR

Nenad