Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

• 1.  How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 03-08-2019 06:55
    How to show if predecessor is completed or status?
    I have table with structure as below, and I would like to pull data from predecessor to know if already completed.

So in this case in additional column:
    Recored ID# 1338 with Predecessor 1337 would show that previous task was completed.

I was looking on forum solution but unfortunately failed (some similar conversation started but no solution)
    I tried to set up Same Table to Table relationship but it does not give me what I want as predecessor field is not unique and I recieve Record ID# as Key field.

• 2.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 03-08-2019 12:44
    It appear that you only need to deal with a single predecessor per record.

Try creating a new field called Predeceesor mirror with a formula value of ToNumber(Predecessor])

Set up a relationship of the rec Reds with themself and use that field as the refr nice field on the right side of the relationship.

Then use a combined text summary field to float up the status

Concert that to text with a new formula field

ToText[My combined text Summary if the status field])

Let me know if that works as I�ve never actually tried doing that.

If that works, then there are variations to handle where you have multiple predecessors.

• 3.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 03-21-2019 12:26
    Thank you Champion:)

Actually, I just showed one but I need up to 6:)
    But with the same logic I made 6 relationships, did "lookup" field and it works:)

Big thanks for help.

• 4.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 03-21-2019 12:32
    Thx for letting me know the approach is viable!

• 5.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 06-17-2020 02:22
    @Manny Pinheiro​,

Actually to show 6 predecessor statuses I created 6 relationship with same table.
    Relationship setup
    My Predecessor columns contains same values as KEY and I lookup base on this:
    Lookup fields from relationship

------------------------------
    Adam Krzyzanek

• 6.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 07-22-2020 12:56
    Adam,

I have a similar problem.   I am trying to think through if there is a way to use Pipelines to solve this instead of creating more relationships.    That way it can scale.

Here is my stream of consciousness:
    A Predecessor goes to Complete,
    The Pipeline looks for Successors
    It checks how many other Predecessors are on that Task
    If they are all Complete, the Pipeline marks a CB on the Successor

I am not sure if Pipelines can do this but I am going to poke around and see if I can make it work.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 7.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 07-23-2020 01:53

@Don Larson you do not need to use Pipeline for this.
    Simply create multiple relationships, and lookup status for each of those predecessors.
    After that you can create formula which will check if Predecessor status is completed or not.
    ​First I validate if predecessor exist and if yes that check it's status.

My formula for 6 predecessors:
    reference to
    [Pred1] - lookup field checking if predecessor 1 exists.
    [Pred1 - Status] - lookup field with predecessor status.

var text FirstPred = If(([Pred1]="" and [Completion]=true) or ([Pred1]="" and [Status]="Completed ON-TIME" or [Status]="Completed LATE"),"Done", If(([Pred1]<>"" and [Pred1 - Status]<>"" and [Completion]=true) or ([Pred1]<>"" and [Pred1 - Status]<>"" and [Status]="Completed ON-TIME" or [Status]="Completed LATE") ,"Done","Wait"));

var text SecondPred = If([Pred2]="","Done", If(([Pred2]<>"" and [Pred2 - Status]<>"" and [Completion]=true) or ([Pred2]<>"" and [Pred2 - Status]<>"" and [Status]="Completed ON-TIME" or [Status]="Completed LATE") ,"Done","Wait"));

var text ThirdPred = If([Pred3]="" ,"Done", If(([Pred3]<>"" and [Pred3 - Status]<>"" and [Completion]=true) or ([Pred3]<>"" and [Pred3 - Status]<>"" and [Status]="Completed ON-TIME" or [Status]="Completed LATE") ,"Done","Wait"));

var text FourthPred = If([Pred4]="","Done", If(([Pred4]<>"" and [Pred4 - Status]<>"" and [Completion]=true) or ([Pred4]<>"" and [Pred4 - Status]<>"" and [Status]="Completed ON-TIME" or [Status]="Completed LATE") ,"Done","Wait"));

var text FifthPred = If([Pred5]="","Done", If(([Pred5]<>"" and [Pred5 - Status]<>"" and [Completion]=true) or ([Pred5]<>"" and [Pred5 - Status]<>"" and [Status]="Completed ON-TIME" or [Status]="Completed LATE") ,"Done","Wait"));

var text SixthPred = If([Pred6]="","Done", If(([Pred6]<>"" and [Pred6 - Status]<>"" and [Completion]=true) or ([Pred6]<>"" and [Pred6 - Status]<>"" and [Status]="Completed ON-TIME" or [Status]="Completed LATE") ,"Done","Wait"));

If($FirstPred="Done" and $SecondPred="Done"and $ThirdPred="Done"and $FourthPred="Done"and $FifthPred="Done"and $SixthPred="Done" ,"Completed","")

Adam Krzyzanek

• 8.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 07-23-2020 07:13
    Adam,

For a fixed number of predecessors that works beautifully.  I have got a client where the business is expanding rapidly and the number of Managers is growing monthly.  Each office has to complete their tasks in Month End Close, so I need something that will scale dynamically.

If I cannot make it work that way, then the architecture will have to change with the addition of every new location.  That works but what a PITA....

Thanks for the code.  I really appreciate working examples.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 9.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 07-23-2020 07:19
    The best would be to have "predecessor" type field which would serve this purpose, to show that you can continue with task only when predecessor is completed.

Maybe there is option like this but did not dig very much in this field type.

Adam Krzyzanek

• 10.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 07-23-2020 07:41
    Adam,

The existing Predecessor field works well for calculating the start of the Successor task.  I have not stress tested it but it seems to calculate correctly for ten or more Predecessors.  There is no visibility into the status of all those Predecessors even an aggregate value.  

I think I will write this one up and do a Support Case and User Voice.  I am also still trying to see if I can make Pipelines do it.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 11.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 07-23-2020 07:48

Thanks Don, Please post here the link to User Voice so I can Vote as well.

And in case they will give any guidance, how to use Predecessor field type to show predecessor completion and that successors tasks are ready to work, please post as well :) 

Adam Krzyzanek

• 12.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 07-23-2020 08:15
    I found an existing User Voice that essentially covers this.  

https://quickbase.uservoice.com/forums/111823-quick-base-product-feedback/suggestions/1959587-add-smart-task-status-using-existing-predecessor

Unfortunately it has been languishing for nine years.  I am going to expand the comments there and put a vote in.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 13.  RE: How to show Predecessor Status [Lookup field]

Posted 07-23-2020 09:45
    Using Pipelines was a complete bust.  I made a simple one table demo to work on this.

When I build my Search Records step these are my only options for Fields

I only get four of the ten fields in the table and notably the Predecessor field is not one of them.

So for today this is a dead end with trying to surface Predecessor info to a Successor.   Now I will have to check and see if it will come out in the API......

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH