Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Is it possible to have a field appear twice in once record, one editable, and one read only?

Posted 09-24-2018 18:52
    I have two tabs in one record, Project and Company.  The Company tab will be filled in first and I want certain fields in that tab to be editable.  I then want those values to populate in the Project tab but as Read Only.

• 2.  RE: Is it possible to have a field appear twice in once record, one editable, and one read only?

Posted 09-24-2018 19:24

Yes, just make a formula field and simply put the source field name in the formula in square brackets.

So if the source field is [source]. Then make a formula text field called [copy of source] and in the code box in the properties put in, [source].

• 3.  RE: Is it possible to have a field appear twice in once record, one editable, and one read only?

Posted 09-24-2018 19:50
    Just curious, do you have companies table separate from Projects table? Or do you have all the information in just one table?

• 4.  RE: Is it possible to have a field appear twice in once record, one editable, and one read only?

Posted 09-24-2018 19:51

Relational Database theory would suggest separate tables. Companies >> has many >> Projects.

• 5.  RE: Is it possible to have a field appear twice in once record, one editable, and one read only?

Posted 09-24-2018 19:54
    Chris, you are absolutely right. Which is why I brought up that question. But it is possible that in this case, they either do not have that business situation or haven't considered it yet. It is their call.

• 6.  RE: Is it possible to have a field appear twice in once record, one editable, and one read only?

Posted 09-25-2018 13:05
    Thank you for your help!  In this case, we have Project>>many Tasks.  Company is simply a tab within the Project that houses information on the company needing the project.  That is why I kept it within the same table (and record).

• 7.  RE: Is it possible to have a field appear twice in once record, one editable, and one read only?

Posted 09-25-2018 14:12

Relational Database Theory would suggest Company >> has many >> Projects >> has many >> Tasks.

When the Company information can be kept and maintained in one place, (one record per company in the Company table), you greatly reduce the risk of redundancy and versioning.

When you open a new project record and manually enter company information there is always the risk of mis-spelling the company name -- then you have a duplicate error.

If you can 'select' the Company record from a drop down list that comes from the Company parent table, you can bring into the Project record lookup information on that Company, i.e. address, contact phone #, current manager, etc. without having to manually enter it. This way makes for a cleaner database as well as other efficiencies server side.

My two cents worth of guidance. Have a good week.