Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Lookup from one table to another table on different APP

Posted 11-21-2017 23:37
    Looking for ideas if I can lookup information from one APP table to another.  Have field service app and would like to be able to pull info from our other APP that has tables to the project.  ie; be able to look up the Project name/number from a different APP used for daily reports.  Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Lookup from one table to another table on different APP

Posted 11-21-2017 23:56
    The simplest approach may be using Quickbase sync tables across apps, then building your relationship. Depending on what info you are trying to bring across, you can even total the information first in a parent table then sync the parent table. We total the # of open cases per sales rep in our case management app, then sync that table into our CRM to use as a lookup field.

• 3.  RE: Lookup from one table to another table on different APP

Posted 11-22-2017 02:44
    The other approach is across app relationship.

Start at the child side and when you make it will initially block you until you go to the Parent App and App properties and allow your child p to make a relationship. Do you may as well do that first.

But then you go to the child table and make the relationship and choose � from another app� as the parent and follow the prompts.

• 4.  RE: Lookup from one table to another table on different APP

Posted 11-22-2017 13:33
    I've been told by quickbase that when you build cross-app relationships, it brings the two apps into the same server process - and with single-threading this will adversely impact performance of both apps.  I've experienced this which is why I recommended the above - I don't know the size of the apps Glenn is referring to so it may not be an issue for him 

• 5.  RE: Lookup from one table to another table on different APP

Posted 11-22-2017 14:12
    Kevin,
    Yes, that is a valid consideration.

• 6.  RE: Lookup from one table to another table on different APP

Posted 11-22-2017 17:40
    Thanks for the input.  Were evaluating this as replacement to our existing CRM.  Though in the learning curve I like to find limitations and try to break things ;-)  and we currently have many related objects because of field limitations.  Another option (not sure if will work) is take this other application and just create a new table on existing APP, which brings up new question -  can you copy all of an APPS fields etc into a table or is this a "recreation

• 7.  RE: Lookup from one table to another table on different APP

Posted 11-22-2017 17:46
    You can copy a table from one app to amother on a one time basis. With or without data.