Getting Started

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

• 1.  Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 08-21-2019 10:59
    Edited by Evan Martinez 08-23-2019 18:35
    It is possible for our community to be such a vibrant and productive place thanks to all of the members who come to contribute questions, share their expertise, and show off their achievements. In a fast moving and technical community it can be tough to know where to get started connecting with other community members. A great place to break the ice is right here by introducing yourself and telling us a bit about you.

Not everyone likes an open ended bio so we do have a few suggestions if you aren't sure what to say.
    1. What is one of the biggest challenges you tackled/or hope to tackle in your current job? (Don't worry you don't have to include Quick Base in this one)
    2. If you could snap your fingers and suddenly have any skill mastered today what would it be?
    3. Do you have a Quick Base feature you feel you have mastered or one you are really curious to learn?

I'll get us started by introducing myself. I am Evan the community manager here at Quick Base. I got started working at Quick Base in 2016 as a member of our Care team and then transitioned into working on our Quick Base Community. This has given me the opportunity to interact with a huge range of Quick Base problem-solvers both here in the community and at places like Empower. 

1. The biggest challenge I have tackled recently have been working on the update for this community over the last 6 months. It has been a great learning experience in project management. 
    2. If I could snap my fingers right now and suddenly have a skill mastered I would have to go with carpentry. I have always been jealous watching people who just know how to build things from scratch like that. 
    3. I am really interested to build out my skills more when it comes to APIs and integrations. Especially as we add Cloudpipes to our Quick Base offerings.

------------------------------
    Evan Martinez
    Community Manager

• 2.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 08-23-2019 13:51
    I am Rick.  I'm a CSM at Quick Base starting this year.  I love Quick Base as a company and software platform. 

1.  The biggest challenge I have accomplished so far is becoming expert certified.  I was able to pass the exam 2 months after joining Quick Base.  There is still a lot to learn!
    2.  I think I'd go with the skill of a mechanic.  I would love to know how to fix a vehicle and do more on my own.  I enjoy fixing and building things.
    3.  I'm looking forward to learning more about API's and integrations.  There is a lot of power in those functions and I know I've only scratched the surface.

Rick Shurtliff

• 3.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 08-29-2019 11:35
    Hello! 
    I am Paula - I am currently the Executive Director for Teaching and Learning in a 6A District in Kansas and a part time Coach with BetterLesson. I LOVE both positions! 
    1. What is one of the biggest challenges you tackled/or hope to tackle in your current job? (Don't worry you don't have to include Quick Base in this one)
    Creating and maintaining a hierarchy of needs and then focusing on one task after another. 
    2. If you could snap your fingers and suddenly have any skill mastered today what would it be?
    Sleeping. :) I would love to sleep 6+ hours on a regular basis! 
    3. Do you have a Quick Base feature you feel you have mastered or one you are really curious to learn?
    The apps - creating and using with an intentional purpose is very exciting! 

Paula Hough

• 4.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 08-29-2019 12:40

Hi!!
    I'm Alex Molochko. I'm a Systems Analyst for Lighthouse Global (information governance and eDiscovery) out of San Francisco. Prior to that I was Alex Molochko at Direct Line Teleresponse, so even though my community profile is brand new, I've been rattling around and "contributing" for a couple of years now. I'm interesting because my Quick Base expertise actually helped me get this job, and has helped me hit the ground running (it's only my second week here).

Alex Molochko

• 5.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 08-30-2019 08:31
    Hello everyone!!! 

I am Laura Linssen, I am a Process Automation Analyst at J.J. Keller & Associates, Inc. out of the great state of Wisconsin! Go Pack Go!!! 

The biggest challenge that I am tackling in my current job is having a mountain of opportunities!!! I know, #roughlife We are going through a transition in our Company where we are very focused on process improvement, so it is a fantastic challenge! 

If I could snap my fingers, I would be a Master in coding! Once I get coding under my belt, watch out world! 

I feel I have mastered Automations. I also have mastered the art of being creative in my problem solving. If you cannot do it natively, do it creatively!!!

Laura Linssen
    llinssen@jjkeller.com

• 6.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 09-10-2019 12:35
    I am Blanca, I am a Project Manager for a nationwide student housing developer and construction management company.  I started building apps as a means to manage one single massive project and it is now a very big part of our every day process.

Already tackled:  Becoming certified, took me about 3 tries but i DID IT! Want to tackle: Learning construction well enough to build/tweak our apps to facilitate and automate some of our current workflows.

IT everything, coding and maybe construction management master skills.

I would like to learn automations really well, Javascript and maybe how to best use Rich Text Fields.

Blanca Anderson

• 7.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 09-12-2019 10:28
    Hello all. My name is Lou. I'm an Engineering Supervisor at Southwest Airlines. For the previous 12 years, my work has been mostly mechanical engineering. However, starting in 2018 I was allocated to a large project to replace an outdated software platform with a modern platform for managing aircraft maintenance, inventory, documents, etc. I have been doing a lot of work in many company apps in Quickbase. I'm the owner of a couple. I have basic knowledge so far, but I am looking forward to getting more advanced.

Louis Wambsganss

• 8.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 11-18-2019 10:03
    Louis,

Good to see someone else with a motorcycle in the group!  

Keep the shiny side up.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 9.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 09-20-2019 11:46
    Hi, I'm Carol and I just became aware of QuickBase when I joined Quandary a few weeks ago.
    1. The biggest challenges I have tackled in my career have been delivering measurable business benefits from the initiatives I've managed. That's why I wanted to join Quandary: its track record for doing that aided by QB.
    2. If I could snap my fingers right now and suddenly have a skill mastered I would be a better painter in acrylics and oils: art is my passion! 
    3. I am really interested to build out my skills more when it comes to reporting, dashboards, and email.

Carol Abbott

• 10.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 09-20-2019 15:02

My name is Chris and I've been utilizing QB for apps management, planning, and administration for 6 months now, since moving into a new analyst role.

I work for Johnson & Johnson in the Medical Device division - MD Labeling Group.   We leverage QB in a number of ways to manage labeling and IFU (Instructions for Use) projects, track timelines, resource workload management, task management by milestones - achieved, and for metrics analyzation/presentation.

I'm looking to get further planning and app connectivity guidance/tips out of future information sessions, webinars, and AMA's / open discussions.

Looking forward to future discussions and trainings down the road!

Regards,

Chris S.

• 11.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 09-23-2019 13:37
    Hello, all!

I'm a customer support team manager. I use QuickBase for creating tools that myself and other managers can use to streamline our responsibilities. I like learning all tech. I enjoy how powerful this tool is and get as deep into its use as simple scripting and such. I tend to make my QB Apps more complicated than they need to be on account of it's just fun.

Nicodemus Schoenwald

• 12.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 10-01-2019 10:32
    Hi there,
    My name's Doug and it's been just over five years since I was given the task of rebuilding our customer, service, and contact database when the server it was running on had a irrecoverable hard drive failure.  Since then I've built, rebuilt, patched, and tweaked our current database app to the wonderful conglomeration it is today.

1) My biggest challenge has been finding time to make much needed improvements to the visual style, layout, and automation the my company's flow requires. My next hurdle has been updating my outdated html/js scripting methods and figure out which new languages to adopt.
    2) My desired instant-master skill is kind of broad: digital art.  2D or 3D. From fantasy matte paintings done in Photoshop to sculpting hyper-real characters and environments in ZBrush.  I'd like to be able to express what I see in my head accurately to other people.
    3) While I don't think I've mastered anything (besides maybe the search tool), I am definitely exploring all aspects of QuickBase.  I'd like to be able to build a single interface for my coworkers to use that access and utilizes all our different vendor APIs and portals without opening a dozen different web browser tabs to accomplish the task.

Douglas
    Service Delivery Coordinator | Tier 2 Support | Systems and Sales
    dhines@tritonnet.com |

• 13.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 11-18-2019 09:10
    I'm a Senior Business Systems Analyst for a pharmaceutical company in central NY.  I've only been here for a few weeks so I'm still figuring things out.  I have a Masters degree in IT along with several certifications in Data Analysis and Visualization.  My background has mainly involved working with enterprise-level financial software, writing reports, finding process efficiencies and automation, and data mining, manipulation, and presentation.  

1. The biggest challenge I'm currently facing is automating and visualizing (dashboarding) as much of our reporting as possible.  Working with the data isn't the challenge - it's extracting the data in the first place that poses the biggest hurdle because we're using JD Edwards and we don't have views or a reporting tool so we must write our own SQL queries.  If you've ever attempted to directly query an Oracle database then you know how convoluted that can be! 
    2. Probably I'd want to master JD Edwards so that I better understand the data flows and how all the pieces of information are stored and related to one another. 
    3. I am curious to learn about scheduling SQL reports to run automatically, which I've been told QuickBase is capable of but I have not yet seen this functionality myself.  

Paul

• 14.  RE: Welcome to the Community Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 12-23-2019 10:43
    I am John. I'm the Software Developer at Inglett & Stubbs (a top Electrical Contractor in Atlanta).

1) The biggest hurdle has been finding the best platform to build the business processes, which is what led us to Quickbase. The next hurdle is building out apps to automate paper processes or replace excel tracking sheets.
    2) Is Quickbase an appropriate answer? The customization of Quickbase is incredible. If I can't have that, then I would settle for UI Development.
    3) I have not really mastered anything. I think that I have a reasonable grasp of the "back-end" design and development pieces. I don't have very much experience with HTTP Development. So, building dashboards is definitely something that I am interested in learning more.

John Crosland