Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Becky Moore

Becky Moore09-05-2018 18:04

• 1.  HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-05-2018 18:04

• 2.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-05-2018 18:14
    Use a formula-text field "##-##-####" and show that field on the form instead and make sure it shows only in view mode. For add/edit mode, you can use the real field.

• 3.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-05-2018 18:57
    I am new to this.  Can you walk me through it please?

• 4.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-06-2018 11:21
    Folks,

Can someone create a screencast for Becky? I don't have access to it from work.

• 5.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-06-2018 16:58
    Becky. Is your SSN a text field now or numeric? If you answer that then I will help you with the code to show a formatted formula text field.

• 6.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-21-2018 13:16
    It was a text field but I changed it to a formula text field but that did not work either. 

• 7.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-07-2018 19:58
    You should have 2 fields:
    1 for data entry - on form for add and edit.
    2 for showing Xs - on form for view.
    I assume it is not to match number for digit, so I would simply create a text formula, if(length([ssn])>0,"XXX-XX-XXXX",""). 

If you do want to match digit for digit you need a different formula, I would use this...
    case(length([ssn]),
    9,"XXX-XX-XXXX",
    8,"XXX-XX-XXX",
    7,"XXX-XX-XX",
    6,"XXX-XX-X",
    5,"XXX-XX",
    4,"XXX-X",
    3,"XXX",
    2,"XX",
    1,"X","")

• 8.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-07-2018 20:58
    @slider. Becky wants to show the SSN digits but in a formatted manner.

But I will wait and see if Becky responds to my question before I put the effort into a reply.

• 9.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-08-2018 17:55
    my mistake. so many ways to take this request.

• 10.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-21-2018 13:58
    Becky,
    Try this

// desired format is ###-##-####

var text PartOne = Left([SSN],3);
    var text PartTwo = Mid([SSN,4,2);
    var text PartThree = Right([SSN],4);

IF(Length([SSN]=9,
    List("-", $PartOne, $PartTwo, $PartThree))

• 11.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 01-04-2019 16:16
    I tried this and received an error on the "If(Length" line. The error states "The operator '=' can't be applied on types text, number"

My SSN field was a numeric field, but I had to change it to text to fix the errors in the first 3 lines that begin with "var"

• 12.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 01-04-2019 16:19
    I found out the issue. I was missing the ")" behind [SSN].

• 13.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 09-22-2018 01:58
    I did it like this in my APP

//This pulls the data from the SSN field and masks it. 

var text SSN = ToText([field which contains SSN]);
    var text filler = "###";
    var text fillerr = "##";

List ("-", $filler, $fillerr, Right($SSN,4))

Hope this helps.

• 14.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 01-07-2019 17:46
    Could someone please screenshot the resolution; like I said I am new to this.

• 15.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 01-07-2019 18:16
    Hey Becky,

Your solution may be a little different than mine, but I ended up using the formula below. I will be instructing the users of my app to exclude the hyphens from the social security numbers.

If(Length([SS#]) = 9,

var text SSN = ToText([SS#]);
    var text filler = "###-##-#";

List ("", $filler, Right($SSN,3)),

"Not Formatted")

• 16.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 01-07-2019 20:06
    I'm not sure what your question is.

If you are trying to take a text field and  format it with hyphens then formula text field would be

IF(Length([SSN]=9,

If he field was numeric then let me know and it would be slightly different formula

• 17.  RE: HOW DO I FORMAT A FIELD ON A FORM FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD TO: ###-##-####

Posted 01-08-2019 17:14
    Still missing the close paren behind Length, Mark

IF(Length([SSN])=9,